Beanbag Rounds for 12 Gauge Shotgun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did a search using "beanbag" and "beanbag round" but nothing came up. So, I guess I'll post a question for the knowledgeable folks here.

Next summer, we will be retiring and moving to the Colorado Springs area and living in our RV in an RV park out at the edge of the mountains. There are warning signs at the office regarding the care to be taken with both bears and mountain lions.

Because of that and that I like to "wander out in the woods" for photography, I'm considering bean bag rounds for my 12 gauge Remington 870 tactical shotgun. Does anyone have suggestions for a brand of beanbag round to buy? Any advice for "ammo" to NOT buy?

Thanks.

ddlstang

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A bean bag round feels like being hit with a bat, so with that in mind I would not want to face a bear with just a bat. Also the bean bag rounds come in different range loads, being if you are 10-15 yrds away or over 25yds, which that would mainly apply to human use. I think a non/less-lethal alternative would be the big can of OC spray.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just for the sake of mentioning it, my 870 is a 7+1 shotgun. My intent was for perhaps the first round to be all noise (shot removed) followed by 2 beanbag rounds, followed by buck shot in the rest.

Now, having said that, I appreciate the advice to shoot to kill, but my first instinct would probably be to use the weapon pictured below.

Dukester

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Just for the sake of mentioning it, my 870 is a 7+1 shotgun. My intent was for perhaps the first round to be all noise (shot removed) followed by 2 beanbag rounds, followed by buck shot in the rest.

Now, having said that, I appreciate the advice to shoot to kill, but my first instinct would probably be to use the weapon pictured below.
Buckshot makes noise to and likely costs less than bean bag shells. Just shoot the first one Biden style if it makes you feel better.
If you're worried about bears or whatnot, get bear spray. It won't hurt them and it's super effective. Shot placement is a non issue.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
or bear mace :)

I would bet you could find this kind of round at Any cop shop. GT Distributors, police one, and there used to be at least one locally. Steve at Cold Hand might even have some.

Dukester

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
or bear mace :)

I would bet you could find this kind of round at Any cop shop. GT Distributors, police one, and there used to be at least one locally. Steve at Cold Hand might even have some.
Mace and bear spray are NOT the same. People up here in the Yellowstone area have died figuring that out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom