Been a while

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So did you buy one?

Not yet, but that Little Whiskey looks like it might have my name on it soon. It would not be the most expensive I've owned to be honest and if you think the common man can't afford it, then head on over to Blade Forums - there are tons of common folks into custom knives and they don't mind using them if they paid that much for them in the first place (I use all my knives).

If you choose not to carry a knife that expensive then that's cool - do your thing, but Bill doesn't have any trouble selling his knives so I don't think he needs a lecture in his knife thread and I'm pretty sure you aren't correctly speaking for "the common man" when you assume that everyone has the same set of priorities you have. This is the knife sub-section, so naturally, there are going to be people who are into knives and as such are willing to spend more on their hobby than others. To a lot of folks, the $50 knives you talked about are far too expensive.

I'd never look down on someone for carrying a budget knife, and I wouldn't post on a message board in somebody's thread about how their knife is no longer functional as a cutting tool because of a factor such as how much they paid for it - that honestly seems kind of rude, man.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
See, that's the great thing about a forum. It's where people post opinions. That's what they're for.

I'm not trashing his work - to the contrary I've said repeatedly said that I found it quite pleasing.

He asked me a question, I answered it. I didn't lecture him, and his response was professional and well worded - just like mine. He's right, I'm not his target market, and that's cool. Frankly if someone used words like "art" to described something I designed and built, it wouldn't offend me, and it sounds like it didn't offend him. I was paying him a huge complement in agreeing that his works are art-worthy. The fact that I didn't like the price was just my opinion.

Bill, keep doin' what you're doing. They're beautiful and the world needs more artisans. I hope yo have enough business that you can do this full time. Nothing but respect for a very difficult skill to master, much less make beautiful in the process.

Bill Coye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not yet, but that Little Whiskey looks like it might have my name on it soon.

Right on! I hope to get the order book back open before the Blade Show in ATL in June. I've been swamped with orders and that's the primary reason I had to close the book and why I'm not at Wannemacher any longer.

This Knife sub-forum is going to get more and more of the "cost" responses. A knife maker that's not a hobbyist that produces knives for a living must have had the demand in place to make that jump to full-time. Although still picking up the odd RN shift, I closed the crime scene cleanup business and starting making knives full-time Sept. 1, 2013. Between Facebook & Instagram it has become brutally apparent that the educational deficit pertaining to custom knives is vast. People are free to state their opinions.......but based on what information? Their understanding of the custom knife market? How many hours it takes over how many days to make one knife? or is it the fact that they're not in a position financially to purchase custom knives. I too have spent twice what my knives run on a particular makers knife. I also carry a $800.00 pistol and a $600.00 knife and use the crap out of both of them.

The bottom line is this: you're either a knife guy or you're not. If you are a knife guy then you get it. If you're not a knife guy the whole thing is going to blow your mind. I'm not advertising here or trying to sell anyone anything. As stated earlier the order book is closed. An OSA member shot me a FB message that there was a new knife sub-forum and I stopped in to say hello. That's it. [email protected] is the best way to get a hold of me.

BC

Bill Coye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bill, keep doin' what you're doing. They're beautiful and the world needs more artisans. I hope yo have enough business that you can do this full time. Nothing but respect for a very difficult skill to master, much less make beautiful in the process.

Thanks for the comments!

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree this is bigger than what I'd typically consider carrying as EDC but that mini-whiskey is right on target for size. I always enjoy when you post your work Bill, really is top notch and to be a local guy has always been cool. Are locals ever able to stop in and check out your operation? I've always wondered what all went into a custom knife and if people were able to see it they might be more understanding of the price point.

Best of luck with your knife making but it doesn't sound like you need it.

mike miller

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ripnbst we will invite you down to Tahlequah the first weekend of May at Ray Kirks shop. The KnifeGroupof Oklahoma will have a shop tour at his place. Demos on various aspects of knife making and forging will be going on. Plus you will meet a great group of KnifeMakers and people interested in knives. We also promise that no one goes home hungry from the tour.
We normally have three or four demoes of various aspects of knifemaking. It is of interest for forging and stock removal KnifeMakers. Bill Coye did a demo at my house a couple of years ago showing how he does his stone wash finish on his knives for the general information.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gosh I love the Coye Ridgeback, but I see it is no longer listed on the website. Is it going to be out of production? I like the new ones, too, but the Ridgeback has always been a classic to me, and I've wanted one a long time.

Am I going to have to find one on the used market, or will I be able to get one from the man himself at some point in the future?

Thanks, and keep up the amazing work! You are an inspiration, and as someone also in the medical field, I would love to be able to quit and do something I loved and was as passionate about as you have! Congratulations!

Bill Coye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
img.tapatalk.com_d_14_02_22_ury2ebuz.jpg

Bill Coye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
img.tapatalk.com_d_14_02_22_ny4enymu.jpg

Model 105 rough ground at 60 grit. This one is part of a package deal. 2vetsarms.com and myself are doing a fundraiser for a little Muskogee girl battling cancer. Winner receives an AR built to your specs by 2VA and the custom knife. More info at Monderno.com. Thanks for looking.

Bill Coye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are locals ever able to stop in and check out your operation? I've always wondered what all went into a custom knife and if people were able to see it they might be more understanding of the price point.

No sir, I haven't opened my shop to the public.

My last comment on price of custom knives in general for the populace, not you specifically ripnbst.

Buy a Rock Island 1911 for $425.00 or buy a Wilson Combat for $2425.00. They both shoot bullets. right? Why would anyone buy a Wilson Combat when the Rock Island shoots the same exact round as the Wilson does? What the hell is wrong with those people?

You bid a job at $20.00/hour. Would you do the same job for $10.00/hour? No you wouldn't. You couldn't. That's why you bid the job at $20.00/hour to begin with.

The production (made by machines) knives found in blister packs hanging on the pegs of the sporting goods department and customs (made by hand) are two completely different animals. AMC Pacer and BMW - they're both cars. Timex and Rolex - they're both watches.

Carry what you can afford to carry.

BC

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom