Beginner Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recently have become interested in shooting some competitions. I am in no means an expert. I am not a very good shot with a pistol in fact. However I hope that practice will make me better. I have a CCW but no CCW holster, I usually tuck my gun in my pants from my house to my vehicle and from vehicle to house. I was wondering if drop leg/thigh rig type holsters were legal for competition? I read in the rule book somewhere that only law enforcement were allowed to use duty holsters. I am not a tactical guru nor LE nor military but like the feel of a drop leg. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

WD

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Officially:

USPSA requires the holster to be worn at waist level, prohibiting the butt of the gun being below the top of the belt (except in open/limited divisions I think, someone may need to correct me). A police officer may be able to wear a drop holster in a Level I match if it's part of his/her duty rig, but the RM will have the final say.

I doubt IDPA would allow a drop leg holster.

Couldn't tell you about the rest of the pistol sports.

Unofficially:

Ask the guys at club matches if you could use one. As long as you're safe I think you would be welcomed with open arms. Just don't expect to use one at any kind of sanctioned match.

ERIC FUSON

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have tried many different holsters for IDPA and USPSA. What i have found works well for both sports is the Blade tech DOH or the CompTac speed belt. Look them up on line, i don't think you could go wrong with either.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IDPA has specific holster requirements that can be viewed in the rulebook on their website at www.idpa.com

Any IDPA legal holster is allowed in USPSA or Pro-AM, but not necessarily vice-versa. A good kydex straight drop belt holster such as the Comp-Tac works great for all three.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This holster would not be IDPA or USPSA legal, unless you were a LEO and it was your duty rig (ok for IDPA). The USSA IDPA match would let you shoot with it for your first match (not for score). After that, you'd need to get a legal holster.

What kind of gun? You could most likely borrow a holster for a match or two

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can run that bad boy in 3 gun. Come on out on the 18th and give it a shot. A buddy if mine used a similar holster for his first ipsc match but he was told to get another holster for his next match. It boils down to the fact that it is slow and potential unsafe to have to reach down that far when trying to draw as fast as you can. In 3 gun the draw isn't as important as keeping the weapon secure when moving so it works in that sport just fine.

Latest posts

Top Bottom