Beretta M9/92F: OSA's Opinion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Beretta 92F/M9 is....

• An excellent fighting pistol.

Votes: 32 32.7%
  • A viable option, but not my first choice.

Votes: 60 61.2%
  • A piece of ****.

Votes: 6 6.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jeff Freeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recently picked up a Beretta M9 (Commercial) & have been shooting it quite extensively. I have formed my own opinion... but this gun seems to be more than others... loved or hated. Where do you stand. I don't care either way, i'm just interested.

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Viable in that it fits the big 3. Its accurate, its reliable, and it holds plenty of ammo. But everything else about it is barf.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a 92fs Centurion and after about a year, I traded it off for a Yugo M70AB2 underfolder. It's built like a tank and looks sexy, but that's about all I can say about it. The gun is way heavy for what it is and large for a 9mm firearm. The grip is needlessly fat and chunky and even in single action, the trigger pull is heavy. I was very rough with my 92FS and it seems pretty reliable, although I did get it to choke in situations where my Glock kept running with no hiccups.

Also, I couldn't hit the broadside of the barn with the gun, so I'm a bit biased against it for that one reason alone :) I don't know what it was with the gun, but my shots were downright embarrassing with the gun. I'm pretty darn accurate with a 1911 and Glocks, but with the 92fs, I was lucky to even hit the paper sometimes. I guess it was just never meant to be for me and the 92FS.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Carried one for a long time...functional for mass issue but not my first choice.

Slide mounted safety/decocker sucks...ergonomics in general didn't feel right for me.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll go against the grain and say that I absolutely love my M9 (its RobC's and Dr. Jekyl / Soulman's old GI project). Ergos do leave something to be desired, but I have that complaint with a lot of guns utilizing a manual mechanical-safety (I don't have huge hands).

I put a set of Aluma-Grips on mine and it was honestly the best choice I ever made. The gun is extremely accurate with either the GI barrel or the threaded commercial barrel in it and the trigger pull is smooth as butter.

ai70.photobucket.com_albums_i91_rawatkins_M9_DSCN9532.jpg

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a Desert Storm Commemorative and a 96. The 96 easily has the worst recoil of any .40 I've ever shot. I didn't care for the stock FS DA/SA trigger system. The best of the breed to me are the 92D, the 92G Elite II and the Compact Type M.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I voted that it is EXCELLENT as a fighting pistol, but it depends on what is important to the user.

I want:

High Capacity (Mine holds 21 rounds of 9mm)
Long Track history (The 92/M9 definitely has that)
Reliable/Accurate/Strong (Mine is all of those)
Ability to 'Personalize' - Mine has CT grips, TLR-1, Tritium sights and a Trident 9 Suppressor.
DA/SA & Safety/Decocker - Mine is.

So for me, it has all the things that I find important in a "Fighting Pistol"...Plus, it is ergonomically great and a very classic design.

Mine is a 92A1 (Light rail) and it is perfect for me.

ai29.photobucket.com_albums_c253_jasondcunningham_92a2.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom