Beretta mags and terrible customer service

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I decided to pony up some extra dollars the other day and actually buy genuine OEM magazines from Beretta for my CX4. Well that warm feeling in my heart about paying extra didn't last long. As soon as they came in it became clear that the mags were junk and not operating the bolt hold open as expected. After a few minutes of diagnostics it turns out that the follower in the mags is able to shift to the side so the little catch for the hold open will slide beside it rather than pushing up on the hold open catch.

Called Beretta and they told me to pound sand and send them back if I didn't like them. Wow. That was disappointing. Is this a one off or pretty representative of their "customer service"? I've never had to call them before so I have no other data points to compare.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
These were the 30 round 9mm mags. Everything in the 15 round varieties worked great because of the different follower. Are yours the 92, 8000 or px4 variety?

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a CX4 and bought my 30 round mags direct from Beretta and haven’t had any problems with them. You can also find most Beretta parts online at Brownells.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's a picture of what mine looks light. I highlighted the post and the direction the follower shifts over. Under any pressure it moves to the side so the post slips off and goes beside it so the lever never actuates.

Attachments

• IMG_20201114_155308__01.jpg
    IMG_20201114_155308__01.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 108

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I haven’t dug mine out of the safe to compare yet, but my first question is, does your CX4 use the Beretta 92 mags or the PX4 mags? Mine was originally the PX4 and I bought the kit to convert it to take the 92 series mags.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven’t dug mine out of the safe to compare yet, but my first question is, does your CX4 use the Beretta 92 mags or the PX4 mags? Mine was originally the PX4 and I bought the kit to convert it to take the 92 series mags.

The 9mm's I have are the 92 mags, my 40 cal is setup as px4 but I also have the magwell adapter and some 92's for it. Originally it came with the 92 setup but I got the PX4 conversion since I have the pistol there too.

I'd bark higher up the tree. I had a pretty similar response from Sig once about some mags I bought but going to the next level they got it taken care of as they should have.
I just don't know that it's super worth it. I found a place with the Check-Mate 15 round GI mags for 8-10 bucks and stocked up on those. I'd like the 30's but they definitely aren't a need.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is just from the perspective of a life-long retail person --- what else could a 'customer service' person do over the phone than to tell you to return them? They certainly couldn't try to talk a customer through a 'tweaking of the magazine' for fears of a liability issue.

Well, how about sending the customer new "free" magazines.......word gets out that the company will send you more free stuff if you just complain. I'm sure that's not what you were gonna do, but there's tons of folks that would. The company needs the bad product back so they can see if this was just an anomaly, or it's a systemic issue that requires more attention.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is just from the perspective of a life-long retail person --- what else could a 'customer service' person do over the phone than to tell you to return them? They certainly couldn't try to talk a customer through a 'tweaking of the magazine' for fears of a liability issue.

Well, how about sending the customer new "free" magazines.......word gets out that the company will send you more free stuff if you just complain. I'm sure that's not what you were gonna do, but there's tons of folks that would. The company needs the bad product back so they can see if this was just an anomaly, or it's a systemic issue that requires more attention.

What I would hope would be done is them saying "Sorry to hear that and thanks for the information. If you think it's the followers, we'd be happy to send some out you could try." Swapping a follower is not rocket science. I've had calls into other 2A manufacturers who I anticipate would handle it as such if I had to call them about their products. I've certainly been talked though technical issues with folks before.

As it sits, if I have to try replacement followers at my cost then I'm sitting at the cost of a known working aftermarket product and will just buy that instead, or try the cheaper aftermarkets (that I haven't personally tested) for the giggles.

Latest posts

Top Bottom