Bergara B-14 HMR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stroker-c10

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks. After looking at the ballistics on the creedmoors, they are both pretty impressive. However, think I would like something a little larger if I planned on going on an elk hunt. Think I wouldn't mind picking up a 6mm, but what route would you go if you wanted something that could be purposed for elk? Thanks fellas.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks. After looking at the ballistics on the creedmoors, they are both pretty impressive. However, think I would like something a little larger if I planned on going on an elk hunt. Think I wouldn't mind picking up a 6mm, but what route would you go if you wanted something that could be purposed for elk? Thanks fellas.
If one looks back in history, a zillion elk were killed with black powder guns and 30-30 centerfire rifles. How many were wounded and lost we don't know, but we do know that those rounds were capable of killing elk.
The bullet technology has improved immensely since then. Common thinking has said that big fat high velocity cartridges are required for elk. In the mountains long shots are the norm typically so folks have used 7mm mag, up to .338 mag and so on.
I'm seeing some recent video's and reports of people taking elk with 6mm bullets. Some at fairly long ranges. Bullet technology is driving that I suspect. Barnes and others that are manufacturing the solid copper bullets with controlled expansion and 100% weight retention can do a lot of damage vs a bullet that mushrooms quickly shedding weight as it penetrates. As always proper placement is key to any bullet being effective. Knetic energy of a heavier bullet retaining energy comes into play as well at longer ranges.

Last edited:

stroker-c10

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If one looks back in history, a zillion elk were killed with black powder guns and 30-30 centerfire rifles. How many were wounded and lost we don't know, but we do know that those rounds were capable of killing elk.
The bullet technology has improved immensely since then. Common thinking has said that big fat high velocity cartridges are required for elk. In the mountains long shots are the norm typically so folks have used 7mm mag, up to .338 mag and so on.
I'm seeing some recent video's and reports of people taking elk with 6mm bullets. Some at fairly long ranges. Bullet technology is driving that I suspect. Barnes and others that are manufacturing the solid copper bullets with controlled expansion and 100% weight retention can do a lot of damage vs a bullet that mushrooms quickly shedding weight as it penetrates. As always proper placement is key to any bullet being effective. Knetic energy of a heavier bullet retaining energy comes into play as well at longer ranges.

Solid point, Dennis. I guess I was talking from a bit of a "this is my boomstick" perspective. Ballistics have come a long way in recent years, for sure. I am not saying that the 6mm wouldn't be effective, but rather is it sufficient or should I look at something else before I pull the trigger. I do plan on pairing whatever I buy with the new Vortex optic that is running a 34mm tube. I can't think of the model but it is one of the most impressive optics that I have seen at the sub 1k price point. SCI was selling them for around $600, not sure how long that sale will last.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am not saying that the 6mm wouldn't be effective, but rather is it sufficient or should I look at something else before I pull the trigger.

Troubling to me as well. I would have to do a lot of research to see how much energy was retained down range at the 300 to 600 yard range that I have had to take shots at on elk. The 30-06 with Barnes copper bullets have performed amazingly with one shot drops. Never had to shoot one twice. Last year was 590 yards. The 6MM would outrun it, but would it retain enough energy at that range. I don't know as I haven't researched it. Might be surprised if I did?

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't understand why one would want to use a minimum caliber shooting a bullet a little over 100 grains in weight for elk hunting. These new 6mm offerings driven by PRS competitions are being designed to shoot the longer higher BC bullets with light recoil. In a hunting situation they are meant to be used for larger varmints, deer, and antelope, not for elk. Certainly bullet technology has changed over the years but that technology doesn't overcome mass.

We've all heard the argument with those who say something to the effect, "the 6.5x55 Swede has killed thousands of moose/Red Deer over the years in Europe." I don't doubt it one bit, but I bet those old timers knew the limitations of this round as well. It was what they had and they put it to good use in the right scenario. They weren't shooting 600 to 800 yards across a canyon with a 143 grain ELD-X. They were using a 160 grain round nose probably within 300 yards.

Anyone who takes a 6mm into the woods after elk has handicapped themselves. Why, on a possible limited type hunting situation, would a hunter do this? If an elk hunt is a possible one time hunt event, maybe a 6.5mm is an okay choice in a Creed but if it's a yearly type event there are much, much better options out there. One option is a switch barrel/bolt head type system on a long action. This way you can pick your poison for the hunt.

Long range hunting and PRS competitions has grown leaps and bounds over the years. What was once your standard chamberings has shifted to the 7 LRM, 300 PRC, 6.5 PRC, etc for long range hunting. PRS shooting has gone from the tried and true .308 to the 6.5 and now its moved on to the 6mm (6x47 Lapua, 6mm CM, 6m GT, 6mm BR, 6mm SLR, 6mm XC, 6mm ARC, etc). Sure, there are those of us who still shoot the older chamberings but, we aren't the cool kids. We're the fat, gray headed old farts that spent all our money putting our kids through college.

Lets not even begin to speak of new scope offerings, the cool kids will go into orgasmic lunacy climbing over one another to get one.

j-black

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just to throw this out there, but what about Tikka or Howa? Tikka is widely regarded as the best of the entry level rifles with many options to choose from. The CTR and Varmint are both under $1k The UPR looks nice at around $1400, and of course there is the Tac A1 which is the pinnacle of sub $2k rifles.
I chose Howa over Bergara and it worked out well for me. The Howa is very well built and very accurate.
Personally, I don't hunt so I couldn't comment on stopping power, but I wouldn't buy a caliber for a one time event. Take into account the logistics, taking a magnum caliber to the range for plinking would be just as bad as taking a .22 moose hunting.
I say go with the 6.5cr and be happy, but if you really want bigger there is a RPR .338 for sale in the classifieds:)

k4ylr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ive been looking at the B14 for a while now and plan on it being the next bolt rifle that I buy. I just havent been able to decide between the 308 or 6.5cm.

There's really not a reason to pick a 308 over a 6.5 unless you are swimming in 308 reloading gear and/or ammo and don't want to add a new caliber. 6.5 is faster, flatter and bucks wind better. Factory ammo is plentiful and can be found at each end of the budget spectrum. S&B 140gr FMJBTs are fine range/plinking rounds and there's a myriad of bespoke shops loading excellent 130 and 140 class match loads.

Latest posts

Top Bottom