Bergara B-14 HMR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stroker-c10

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just to throw this out there, but what about Tikka or Howa? Tikka is widely regarded as the best of the entry level rifles with many options to choose from. The CTR and Varmint are both under $1k The UPR looks nice at around $1400, and of course there is the Tac A1 which is the pinnacle of sub $2k rifles.
I chose Howa over Bergara and it worked out well for me. The Howa is very well built and very accurate.
Personally, I don't hunt so I couldn't comment on stopping power, but I wouldn't buy a caliber for a one time event. Take into account the logistics, taking a magnum caliber to the range for plinking would be just as bad as taking a .22 moose hunting.
I say go with the 6.5cr and be happy, but if you really want bigger there is a RPR .338 for sale in the classifieds:)

Tikka is ok but I think quality of build is much nicer with the Bergara and I have had a fondness for them since I first picked one up. Howa does put out a nice rifle though. .338 is a cool round but I would like to be able to afford to shoot it.

There's really not a reason to pick a 308 over a 6.5 unless you are swimming in 308 reloading gear and/or ammo and don't want to add a new caliber. 6.5 is faster, flatter and bucks wind better. Factory ammo is plentiful and can be found at each end of the budget spectrum. S&B 140gr FMJBTs are fine range/plinking rounds and there's a myriad of bespoke shops loading excellent 130 and 140 class match loads.

Thanks. I already have a .308 with my Remington 700 AAC-SD. The 300 win-mag seems like it would be more suitable for elk hunting than the 6.5 Creedmoor. Call me weird but I also get a kick out of shooting 'larger' calibers/rounds when I can afford them.

Thanks for any and all input!

k4ylr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tikka is ok but I think quality of build is much nicer with the Bergara and I have had a fondness for them since I first picked one up. Howa does put out a nice rifle though. .338 is a cool round but I would like to be able to afford to shoot it.

Thanks. I already have a .308 with my Remington 700 AAC-SD. The 300 win-mag seems like it would be more suitable for elk hunting than the 6.5 Creedmoor. Call me weird but I also get a kick out of shooting 'larger' calibers/rounds when I can afford them.

Thanks for any and all input!

6.5 PRC, 300 Norma or 300 PRC if you want a factory supported magnum. 300WM is now the 308 of the LA world. Belted cartridges aren't a necessary evil any more and there better rounds to do the same job.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Just to throw this out there, but what about Tikka or Howa? Tikka is widely regarded as the best of the entry level rifles with many options to choose from. The CTR and Varmint are both under $1k The UPR looks nice at around $1400, and of course there is the Tac A1 which is the pinnacle of sub $2k rifles.
I chose Howa over Bergara and it worked out well for me. The Howa is very well built and very accurate.
Personally, I don't hunt so I couldn't comment on stopping power, but I wouldn't buy a caliber for a one time event. Take into account the logistics, taking a magnum caliber to the range for plinking would be just as bad as taking a .22 moose hunting.
I say go with the 6.5cr and be happy, but if you really want bigger there is a RPR .338 for sale in the classifieds:)
I see there just happens to be a Howa 6.5 Creedmore for sale too. [emoji16]

Latest posts

Top Bottom