Best 1911 .45 concealed carry gun??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usmcvet9803

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well you are right! Just my opinion. I have some experience with the 1911. Love the way it points and shoots. I own a Combat Commander. I've carried for allot of years and since I learned and trained on revolvers that is what I carry. Don't trust my self to remember the safety and envy those who do. Just don't think it makes sense . I would probably be like the Leo whos finger turned white squeezing the trigger under stress and no bang cause he didn't release the safety.i prefer point and shoot . [/QUOTE said:
There is a lot to be said for a point and shoot firearms. BUT in my opinion training until your can manipulate the battery of arms on your chosen weapon without thinking ( muscle memory)will negate any advantage of one design over another when strictly speaking about what it takes to put it into action. Now if you want to minimize your training yet still remain as effective as possible, with regard to putting your firearm into action, then yes a point and shoot firearm is best. The cop you mentioned needed to practice more or change is firearm.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't trust my self to remember the safety and envy those who do. Just don't think it makes sense . I would probably be like the Leo whos finger turned white squeezing the trigger under stress and no bang cause he didn't release the safety.i prefer point and shoot .

One would just need a bit of training/practice to get over that fear. Just saying that it hides easily and obviously they shoot well. Fears or inexperience aside, they are one of many great platforms for carry.

rsc

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My preference runs to a 1911 for CCW, preferably a commander slide and officer's frame. It need not be expensive or pretty, just 100% reliable. I am open to other platforms, but I always come back to the 1911.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
amadera, think about this. One of the reasons the 1911 was accepted for the military, was it was so simple to operate. The powers that be thinks the GI is the dumbest thing that ever had a thought. When you go in bootcamp, they even teach you how to brush your teeth, cause sure as shooting you have been doing it wrong for the last 18yrs of your life. It is a great CCW, its flat comes in different size barrels and grips, and you can even get a LW version. They also come in different calibers. Besides as a anti personal weapon 100s of 1,000s of dead Comies can't be wrong. Just look at them, they just scream CARRY ME!!!!
[Broken External Image]
i203.photobucket.com_albums_aa250_surjimmy_IMG_4117.jpg

i203.photobucket.com_albums_aa250_surjimmy_IMG_2939.jpg

i203.photobucket.com_albums_aa250_surjimmy_IMG_1933.jpg

[Broken External Image]

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have 5", Commander and Officer's length 1911's, and for concealed carry, the 3" Kimber RCP wins. Light, small and reliable in my hand. I have both CTAC and Crossbreed Supertuck holsters and both work fine. The pistol is light and small enough that cargo short waistband can support the holstered pistol. This adds versatility- I don't want to live in jeans and Looper lined belts all summer long.

Many years ago, I bought a cheap Uncle Mikes neoprene single clip IWB holster for an upcoming deployment. I carried my issue 1911 in it daily for 5 weeks. It sucked. Finally, I cannibalized an extra issue flap holster and had a local tailor make a "Kind of" Milt Sparks Summer Special holster from my memory of a pic in a Brownell's catalog. Much better, but still not that good. As a result of living with a crappy holsters and carrying concealed on and off for nearly 30 years, I'm picky and have gone through a number in search of ones that work. To the OP- whatever you choose, remember that a steel framed 5" 1911 is gonna get heavy if you're out working in the summer heat, and quicker if you don't use a holster that spreads the weight out.

The best shooting pistol isn't always the most practical carry pistol, and visa versa. Good luck in your quest and when you get there, you'll probably have a safe full of guns and a box of holsters.

Reaction score
officer length pistols 3.5 inch, have an inherent design flaw. The issue is mainly that the barrel cam action creates a very steep ramp angle, also most aftermarket mags have springs that are very strong, too strong. The reason is that the pistol is assumed to be loaded all the time and the need for extra spring pressure for service life is needed, that is debatable.

I Carry a commander length frame and slide pistol, round butt in 9x23, I like the 9x23 for its .357 mag ballistic qualities, parkerized and cera-koted black, nothing fancy.. I leave that for my customers.

If your looking for a micro compact that works, glock and sig have models that are very nice.

Have Fun,

A

madbrad

Marksman
Reaction score
I have a Detonics combat master, one of the smallest 1911s annd has some of the first innivations in 1911s, i.e. lowered ejection port, double recoil springs, truncated cone shoots great and very concealable

Latest posts

Top Bottom