Best 1911

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I usually go to h&h when they have their vendors come, every year. A good place to shoot new guns and get a feel of which brand you like the most. It can be hard to tell what shoots good for you, when you shoot rentals. Some get so abused. The best 1911 is the one that is reliable, and one that you shoot well. Just because it feels good in your hands, doesn't always mean you'll shoot it well.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've owned Kimbers and a Springfield Mil Spec. Still have one of the Kimbers and the Springer. FWIW, the Springer is just as accurate, and more reliable than my remaining Kimber. And, it was cheaper.

Of course, the Springfield is a full size steel frame, and the Kimber is aluminum framed Commander size. The closer you stay to the original formula, the more likely you will have no problems.

Jedabug92

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've owned Kimbers and a Springfield Mil Spec. Still have one of the Kimbers and the Springer. FWIW, the Springer is just as accurate, and more reliable than my remaining Kimber. And, it was cheaper.

Of course, the Springfield is a full size steel frame, and the Kimber is aluminum framed Commander size. The closer you stay to the original formula, the more likely you will have no problems.

so stick to the all steels?

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
so stick to the all steels?

For reliability, my experience says "yes". I had a Kimber Ultra Carry (3 inch barrel, aluminum frame). It was really accurate, but failed to feed all the time. I still have a Pro model (4 inch barrel, aluminum full size frame) that is really, really accurate, but will doesn't always go into battery. The Springer is a 5 inch barrel, all steel. It just works. And it shoots straight.

Of course, the Springfield gets heavy after carrying it around all day, but a good belt/holster combo help.

"Conventional internet wisdom" says the closer you stay to the original JMB design, the better. Take that for what it's worth, but my own experience backs that up to a certain extent. Having said that, if I found a lightweight officer size that worked for me all the time, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Jedabug92

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I usually go to h&h when they have their vendors come, every year. A good place to shoot new guns and get a feel of which brand you like the most. It can be hard to tell what shoots good for you, when you shoot rentals. Some get so abused. The best 1911 is the one that is reliable, and one that you shoot well. Just because it feels good in your hands, doesn't always mean you'll shoot it well.

How does it feeling good translate into NOT shooting good?

Latest posts

Top Bottom