Best 1911

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jedabug92

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For reliability, my experience says "yes". I had a Kimber Ultra Carry (3 inch barrel, aluminum frame). It was really accurate, but failed to feed all the time. I still have a Pro model (4 inch barrel, aluminum full size frame) that is really, really accurate, but will doesn't always go into battery. The Springer is a 5 inch barrel, all steel. It just works. And it shoots straight.

Of course, the Springfield gets heavy after carrying it around all day, but a good belt/holster combo help.

"Conventional internet wisdom" says the closer you stay to the original JMB design, the better. Take that for what it's worth, but my own experience backs that up to a certain extent. Having said that, if I found a lightweight officer size that worked for me all the time, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

on the belt holster set is looper is a good belt brand right?

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have put a least 1500 rounds through my S&W scandium, and have had little to no issues(a couple of failure to feeds with some bulk non-factory reloads, but that's it). Although I would suggest avoiding polymer and sticking to steel.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I carry this 1955 LW Commander in 38 Super as my EDC. Have never had a problem with it. This is what was told to me by a person who knows and you can count on it being 100% accurate. The OCPD Swat team was going to the 1911 as their sidearm, Kimber sent them one of their 1911's. After their Armor got it, he took it apart then put it back together and sent it back to Kimber and turned them down.
[Broken External Image]

Last edited:

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok so I am gathering that Kimbers are ok but S&W, Springs, Colt, and SIG are the way to go?

Here's the problem with Kimber.... Their guns are overpriced. WAY overpriced at $1K+ because their expensive guns have no better fitting or parts than their their base lines.

DFarcher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kimber is to 1911 as 1903 is to 1911... Really close, but so far apart

I am not a Kimber fan, they just seem to be more flash than substance to me.....and you don't need a friggin take down tool for a real 1911. A 1911 also should NOT have a rail or a round butt...bleh! A couple mentions of Taurus in this thread....don't do it! We sold them at my shop for a while, might have sold 10, three came back broken. We won't sell them any longer. You would be better off with something made in the Philippians vs South America. I own a couple of Paras, they have been very reliable, I also own a Early Colt Commander it might be my favorite. I've looked at Remingtons and Smiths trying to decide on my next 1911, pretty sure it will be a Smith. I think the best value out there under 1K is the Ruger. I have one and love it, hey are simple well made great looking and I prefer the series 70 type. I have close to 1000 rounds through my SR1911 without a single failure. You can find the Rugers around now for under $700....great gun for the money!

Latest posts

Top Bottom