Best 1911

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok so I am gathering that Kimbers are ok but S&W, Springs, Colt, and SIG are the way to go?

I wouldn't agree with all of this. The S&W is good, as are the Springers & Colts. STI makes a good gun, but the sometimes need a little tuning. The current production Dan Wesson's a excellent factory guns, but they cost quite a bit more.

I've owned two failed Kimbers and wouldn't have another one. They are extremely hit or miss. Some never have a problem and some will never stop having problems. The real problem is there's no way to tell which one you're going to get. They have the same problem as Sig. They are marketing companies that happen to sell guns. The others are gun companies that also market products. Huge difference. :(

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a Para and a Springfield. Both have been ridiculously reliable, without a single problem I can remember. The Springfield is a V-10 Champion commander-length, meaning it's ported to reduce muzzle rise. My(ex)wife could shoot good groups with it when she couldn't shoot polymer-frame .40 S&W guns. Made a big difference to her. Personally I like my Para LDA better in the hand, but it isn't quite as accurate from the few hundred rounds I've put through each. Not sure if the porting in the Springfield is the cause of that, but being that the V-10 grip safety starts really digging into my hand after a hundred rounds or so, I think I am going to look into changing that out.

I've been really dying to get my hands on a Sig Nightmare or even better, a Sig Scorpion. :D And I'm hooked on the commander-length. I just don't care for the larger GI size. Haven't tried an officer's model, but I'm very comfortable with the ones I have.

I don't think you can go wrong with 1911s, there are so many things you can do with them, from swapping for higher-end parts or having a gunsmith customize/optimize them... so many options.

I love 'em!

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've like most Para's I've shot too, the only exception was their GI model. I'm a fan of those hawgs too, double stack goodness.

I'm a Wilson guy... I'll stake my life on my tac elite, though I don't carry it because I don't want the holster rash. It's my race tree plinker lol

Dukester

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
With Smith & Wesson you get one of the best warranties in the business, and unlike Kimber's 2 year warrrany, it's for life. Also, I am really a fan of Smith's external extractors. They work great, NEVER need to be tuned and can be replaces with relative ease. I think the external extractor makes the 1911 truly competitive with more modern platforms in terms of reliability. Smith & Wesson have pretty much perfected the external extractor on the 1911.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Smith & Wesson have pretty much perfected the external extractor on the 1911.

Well... not really... actually the opposite. Hilton Yam wrote a detailed article on the matter. The older S&Ws had a really thin extractor that sat high on the rim and caused problems at "higher" (5K) round counts. Then they "upgraded" it with the E series.... except the retainer pin kept falling out. 1911 companies keep trying to re-invent the wheel. IF they'd just leave well enough alone and quit trying to cut corners and throw in proprietary parts they'd be fine.

Nighthawk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After Sept. 20th stop by the shop and I can show you 1911 Colts, Springfield Armory, and Kimbers we have in stock. I like the 1911 style, so I try to keep as many as I can in stock. Like others have said, go to H&H and try out the different 1911's to get the feel of what you want in your price range. There are some real nice expensive ones like Wilson, Nighthawk, etc. I always try to keep in mind resale value in case you want to move up to those in the future, that is why I recommend a Colt. In my experience with people coming into the shop, they ask for Colts and Kimber and want them more than any other 1911 if they can afford them. There are some in the $1000. range and below.

Good luck,

Mark

Dukester

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Well... not really... actually the opposite. Hilton Yam wrote a detailed article on the matter. The older S&Ws had a really thin extractor that sat high on the rim and caused problems at "higher" (5K) round counts. Then they "upgraded" it with the E series.... except the retainer pin kept falling out. 1911 companies keep trying to re-invent the wheel. IF they'd just leave well enough alone and quit trying to cut corners and throw in proprietary parts they'd be fine.
whatever dude. It's pretty well known that their 1911's are super reliable and that extractor is a big part of that. That's not to say that they never wear out, but most everything will eventually.

Latest posts

Top Bottom