Best commercially made hog traps..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sampson

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looking to purchase as the hogs are tearing up my place. Shooting hogs has largely been a failure and no I don’t need help shooting hogs as your lucky to kill two or three at a time. I need to remove several as in 30 plus hogs at a time. I’d like to hear from those who have purchased or used commercial made traps and what kind of success rates you’ve experienced.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you guys for the compliments.

Like ignertbend said, don't waste your time with the 4'x8' traps or similar traps. You will catch a few out of the sounder and educate the rest. Trap smart hogs are the most difficult to trap.

I built my own gate that is dropped remotely by a phone call. I bought panels and tee posts at the local farm store to complete my trap.

I am about to build at least 1 more gate, maybe 2 gates and might sale the one I am using now. It may be a bit before I get that completed as fishing trips have been picking up.

A few commercially made wireless hog traps gates are sold but when I saw the $1200 price tag, Iooked into other options. One of these could be purchased, and then panels and posts to construct the rest. However, that is still expensive. I have not looked into the commercial available traps or gates that much lately, so I don't know who has the best price or the most effective. Feel free to look into some and PM me for my opinion. Some are small and make it difficult to trap the sounder.

A game cam with wireless capability to transmit images (live or within seconds) is critical. It is pretty risky relying on a few minute old or older image. Spypoint wireless cams do NOT meet the requirement IMO. I run Bushnell and like them, but am really tempted to get a couple Spartan to try out. I know a few people that have the Spartan cams and love them. I don't have experience with the other wireless game cam options.

When I decide to drop my gate, it only takes 11-12 seconds for it to drop.

Another pointer, if you have a car hauler (flat bed) trailer, it is a lot easier loading 25+ hog carcasses on than in the bed of a pick up. Trust me. That and 2000+ pounds of pig is probably pushing the cargo capacity of a half ton! :blush:

Sampson

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bassin have you had any issues with cattle and your drop gate style trap? I run anywhere from 15 to 20 head on the same ground. And I am thinking I will need to try and fence off a small area to keep the cattle out. I am looking at JAGER Pro and a couple of others as I do not have the time or skill to build one. I work full time, plus kids school and sports activities and raise cattle on the side. I also don’t have the time or energy to stay up all night to shoot hogs with a night vision scope. After working midnights for 15 plus years, I’ll take all the sleep I can get anymore.

Sampson

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m more worried about the cows rubbing on the gate system and jacking it up. Or trying to push there way into the trap to get the corn.

Latest posts

Top Bottom