Best friend thinks I'm crazy and paranoid for getting CCW License

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, I've tried to talk to my long time best friend about getting his license and he thinks I'm crazy. It's something that's been on my mind lately, he's been married for a couple years and they just had their first child together and I know he's got no way to defend himself or his family when they are out and about, so I tried talking to him about it earlier today...

I started off with: "Have you ever considered getting your concealed carry license?" and he replied "Not really, why?"

I replied: "You should. Just good to have. To need to be able to protect your family, even when you're in the car or out in public. Right now, if you're not at home you're defenseless. You wouldn't be able to do anything at all if someone ran up to your car with a gun in their hand and demanded that you hand everything over, and sadly that sort of thing is happening more and more often in the area we live in."

He said: "True"

So I continued on... "I got mine a couple years ago. I don't necessarily carry everywhere I go, but it's nice to have a gun in my glovebox without having to worry about it being illegal, since it's "concealed' if it's not out in plain sight. Do you have a hand gun?"

He said: "Yup."

I said: "We need to go to the range sometime. I don't get to shoot mine often enough and I could use some practice."

So he said: "You crack me up, why are you so worried?!"

I didn't really know what to say back because I wasn't really expecting that from him, I figured he'd be on board with protecting his family so I just said "Not worried about anything, just want to be prepared."

SOOO, how do I talk to him about this? How do I get him to see why he needs his license? He's a hunter and he's got guns, so I figured it would be a no brainer... How do I encourage him to go get trained and get his license without sounding like I'm psychotically worried about an oncoming zombie apocalypse??? I want him and his family to be safe, and I want to know that he'll have my back if I need it.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
SOOO, how do I talk to him about this? How do I get him to see why he needs his license? He's a hunter and he's got guns, so I figured it would be a no brainer... How do I encourage him to go get trained and get his license without sounding like I'm psychotically worried about an oncoming zombie apocalypse??? I want him and his family to be safe, and I want to know that he'll have my back if I need it.

Everyone wants their friends and family to be safe, but the decision isn't up to you. There's shootings and robberies every day on the nightly news. If people can't see the need to protect themselves in this day and age, nothing much you say will phase them. Some people have to learn the hard way.

Reaction score
Everyone wants their friends and family to be safe, but the decision isn't up to you. There's shootings and robberies every day on the nightly news. If people can't see the need to protect themselves in this day and age, nothing much you say will phase them. Some people have to learn the hard way.

That's basically what my wife said too... Just leaving him be makes me feel like I'm not doing my duty as his best friend, sucks.

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We sort of assume that everyone watches the news and understands the danger potentials around them. That's not always true. Chances are your buddy has been thinking about that conversation ever since. Over time, he may reconsider.

Reaction score
We sort of assume that everyone watches the news and understands the danger potentials around them. That's not always true. Chances are your buddy has been thinking about that conversation ever since. Over time, he may reconsider.

I sure hope so. He is a very busy guy, working two jobs plus building a business of his own on the side, so I doubt he has much time for the news.

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
SOOO, how do I talk to him about this? How do I get him to see why he needs his license?

The answer is simple,,,
You don't.

You harping on him to get his carry permit,,,
Is exactly like an anti harping to you about not needing a gun.

He's a grown man,,,
Allow him to make his own decisions.

JMHO

Aarond

Latest posts

Top Bottom