BEST group of my Life!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bluewing,

thank you!

The scope is a Vortex Viper 6.5X-20X-50mm with fine duplex crosshairs. I went with this scope because of its "tracking" ability. Meaning, with the drop table I made for this rig, I keep it sighted in to hit point of aim at 600 yds.. A drop table was made in 50 yd. increments from 600 yds. to 1,000 yds.. Once you know your distance, its a simple matter of just dialing your scope in for the distance you want to shoot, with no guess work. After shooting the above target at 900 yds., I just had to dial the scope in at 1,000 yds., 800 yds., 700 yds. and 600 yds.. The scope tracked flawlessly each time, and with a center hold on each of those water jugs, I was able to "explode" each one, with just one well placed shot at each known distance....

Thank you uncle money bags! Years of practice and thousands and thousands of rounds down range has paid off....

Let that be the one takeaway from this thread.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Phenomenal shooting ! Very nice Mr. David great group at that distance ! That sir is super impressive and proof positive that practice pays off. I'm stoked for you. I know a few guys that would be happy with that at 500 let alone 900.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks guys!

Here is a little more information for those that might be interested....

The 30-284 is simply the 284 Winchester case necked up to .30 caliber, with no other basic changes...

Instead of using 284 Winchester brass though, I am using Lapua 6.5-284 brass, necked up to .30 caliber...

i193.photobucket.com_albums_z132_HonkerHunter_photos_30_284_007_zps617497b7.jpg

Redding makes a 3 die set for the 30-284 and that is what I am using to load for this round...

i193.photobucket.com_albums_z132_HonkerHunter_photos_30_284_015_zps3d9045df.jpg

Here is a picture of cartridges for comparison. The cartridge on the left is a 308 Winchester, 30-284 in center and a 30-06 Ackley Improved...

i193.photobucket.com_albums_z132_HonkerHunter_photos_30_284_024_zpsfd9c591f.jpg

The 30-284 is loaded with Hornady's 155 gr. A-MAX. Here is the load that I am shooting -

CASE: Lapua 6.5-284 / necked to .30 caliber / Match prepped...

PRIMER: Winchester WLRM...

POWDER: H-414 / 62.0gr...

BULLET: Hornady 155 gr. A-MAX...

VELOCITY: 3,400 fps...

When I cut the chamber in this barrel, I cut a tight chamber with .001 headspace. Fireforming was not necessary because of absolute minimum headspace and the tight chamber. The 30-284 round shown above on the blue Lapua brass box, has been fired 12 times and neck sized only. No sign of work hardening and the primer pocket is still tight...

Mitch Rapp - no need to "feel small", 6-800 yds. is still a long haul and if you have perfected shooting at those distances, good for you!

7stw - at least for me, groups like that are few and far between! 2" groups @ 600 yds. are the norm but, when you start getting past that distance, EVERYTHING comes into play - wind, mirage, atmospheric conditions, elevation, grip pressure, cheek pressure, shoulder pressure, trigger pull, front rest, back rest, cartridge, load, etc., all make a difference when it comes to long-range shooting. I term long-range as starting at 800 yds. and going out from there....

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Mitch Rapp - no need to "feel small", 6-800 yds. is still a long haul and if you have perfected shooting at those distances, good for you

I was being a bit sarcastic, I have onky shot out to 500 so far. My buddy who was a sniper team leader took a job in Whashington so I lost my teacher, after deer season I am going to try to find a place to stretch out and try to just start making hits at those ranges. Your posts like this one and the coyotes are sure keeping the fire lit under me! Keep them up! Hope to be able to post some of my own soon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Preacherman - wind is not a problem and is something that can be allowed for and adjusted into the scope. It's mirage that gives me fits!

Mitch Rapp - if this is something you really have a desire for, I hope you do get the opportunity to start making those long shots but, beware, long-range shooting can be quite addictive. I have set up for just over 20 years now, to shoot "1" deer a year that it 600 yds. or further away. My furthest witnesses shot was at 1,380 yds., the second furthest was at 1,243 yds. and then 1,118 yds....

I use cartridges that are on the "small" side for this type of shooting, like the 7mm STW, 300 Weatherby Magnum, 6.5X300 Weatherby, etc.. I have also use my 300 Jr., which is what I used to take the two furthest deer. The 280 Ackley Improved and my favorite 6mm, the 6mm-284, has also accounted for more that its share of deer out past the 600 yd. mark...

If I can offer any advice or help, in helping you get to those longer distances, I'll do what I can to help you get there. I'm not a target shooter in the true sence but, I do try to perfect my shooting and I'm willing to help others when and where I can....

Latest posts

Top Bottom