BEST group of my Life!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you Okie 45/70!

Thank you B Gordon! I also know where two car washes are in town... :)

Distantfoe - no Sir, I have never had any issues with doughnuts when necking up to .30 caliber. As tough as this 6.5-284 Lapua brass is though, I had to make a separate neck expanding mandrel and also use a Q-tip to smear a little Imperial Size Die Wax on the inside of the neck to make necking up the brass easier....

Thank you mightymouse, I appreciate that....

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As an addendum to the deer killed above:

The bullet was close to centered in-line with the deers front leg but, entered a few inches higher than my aiming point. The bullet entered at the bottom of the spine and left a half moon crescent in one of the vertebrates. I'm guessing that the shock to the spine is why that deer just stood there, instead of just collapsing on the spot...

Entrance wound was about the size of a #2 pencil, and exit wound about dime size...

Remaining velocity @ 900 yds. was just over 1,600 fps. and bullet energy was right at 900 ft. lbs....

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Congrats! Thanks for sharing. Your patience is unparalleled.

P.S. Welp, with this story you are making me eat a crow with the long range hunting thread we had a few months back. Hate to admit it - but I was wrong about you.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I managed to take a doe today but, not near as far as the other one. This one was only 617 yds...

I headed off to my shooting bench this morning, well after daylight. If I'm not mistaking, I got there around 10:15-10:30 am...

With the sun out, and no clouds or wind, It really felt good just sitting there soaking up the sun...

I got set-up on my shooting bench, with just my rifle and range finder. I kept noticing something out in the pasture (same pasture as the buck was shot in, in the above post). I finally put it in the scope and realized it was a deer standing between 2 small trees. I knew something just didn't quite look right, so I had to check it out and see. I ranged this spot at 617 yds.. What really puzzled me though, is that this deer stood there for over 30 minutes and I never saw here move a muscle. I started to think that it was not a deer and I was just seeing things...

After a good 30 minutes went by, I caught movement further out in the field. It was a big buck! As TOUGH as this last deer was, I had no intention of shooting any more bucks...

This buck had his nose to the ground and trailed up that doe I "thought" I saw out in the field. The doe finally moved when the buck got close to her. By now, it was around 11:30...

I decided to go ahead and shoot the doe, even though she was facing straight at me...

I dialed the scope in, put the crosshairs on her throat patch and very gently squeezed the trigger. As luck would have it, after all this time, she put her head down just as the gun barked. Like they say, a picture is worth a thousand words....

i193.photobucket.com_albums_z132_HonkerHunter_photos_Long_20Range_20Deer_003_zps42f7b98f.jpg

i193.photobucket.com_albums_z132_HonkerHunter_photos_Long_20Range_20Deer_005_zpsd63396bf.jpg

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will have to give it up to D&T. I had some doubts of some of the posts also. The patience/skill for the shots D&T has described sounds like he is a very dedicated long range precision marksman. Too bad the doe dropped its head. Nothing you can do about that. Do you have the recovered bullet from the doe. Nice shooting.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry MoBoost, I don't know what came over me....

Magna19 - that bullet fragmented into little bitty pieces and I could not recover enough to photograph. This is the first time one of these bullets "exploded" like that...

Just a thought but, I was thinking it sure would be nice to have something like a "Long-Range Deer Hunters Club" here in Oklahoma. When I lived in Mississippi, counting myself, there were seven of us that shot deer during gun season and strictly long-range. Nothing was ever shot inside of 600 yds. and the limiting maximum range was up to each individual's shooting skills with what they were comfortable with...

What would it take to do something like that here and would anyone be interested in it?

DAVID

Latest posts

Top Bottom