Best inexpensive tactical shotgun for first time buyer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F

Franktank

I'm going to buy my first gun and I know three things for sure...
1. I want something inexpensive
2. I want something reliable / well made
3. I want it to look tactical

I really like the look and features of the Benelli SuperNova Tactical but I really don't want to spend that much. I found a Stevens 320 I like but I'm not sure if it is reliable but it is inexpensive. There is also the Mossberg 500 line but there are soooo many models I can't decide.... I very nearly pulled the trigger on a Mossberg 500 ZMB this evening but wanted to find out more about Stevens first.

Is there a SuperNova copy available?

what gun do you guys/gals recommend based on my requirements?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Frank

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd recommend the IAC 982 Hawk or the H&R Pardner Pump. Both are Remington 870 clones and are great buys for the money. Being an 870 clone opens you up to a pretty much unlimited source of accessories. Under $200 for the shotgun, and then spend 100-200 to make it as tactical as you want!

I went with the 982 because I wanted the ghost ring sights. It is one solid shotgun! So far I have around 300 shells through mine with no problems.

The Mossberg 500 ZMB would be an excellent choice as well.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Define "Tactical"?

Beyond that, you can't go wrong with a regular old 870...lightly used models can be had with 18/18.5 inch barrels and tube extensions for very cheap, relatively speaking. Mossberg will do you ok too.

peanut

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm looking at a remington 887 nitromag.
Holds 7+1, chambered for 2", 2 3/4" and 3" shells.
Looks(you said looks!!) tactical, has a muzzle brake.
Cost around $400 with 18" barrel.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Get an 870 and then you can build on it and modify it for the rest of your life. I started with what was described as a "Home Defense" model new in the box. I paid about $325.00 for it. It was matte finish with an 18.5 bead sighted barrel and wood furniture. This is about as basic as it gets.

I have since changed the barrel to a 20 inch rifle sighted barrel that was sent to Hans Vang for backboring the internal choke. A magazine extension tube was added for greater magazine capacity. Black synthetic furniture with a "youth" stock that makes it easier to shoulder without the long pull or reach. A "Limbsaver" recoil pad was installed. It takes some of the bite out of it when shooting slugs. A Mesa Tactical 8 round sidesaddle carrier for extra rounds and sling swivels that can be used if needed.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom