Best inexpensive tactical shotgun for first time buyer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chubbs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mossberg makes good scatter guns, but pretty much all pump shotguns are gonna work just fine. The pump shotgun is a very simple design.

It doesnt sound like you will be using this shotgun alot, so I would reccomend getting a cheaper one.

Quick_Draw_McGraw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd recommend the IAC 982 Hawk or the H&R Pardner Pump. Both are Remington 870 clones and are great buys for the money. Being an 870 clone opens you up to a pretty much unlimited source of accessories. Under $200 for the shotgun, and then spend 100-200 to make it as tactical as you want!

I went with the 982 because I wanted the ghost ring sights. It is one solid shotgun! So far I have around 300 shells through mine with no problems.

The Mossberg 500 ZMB would be an excellent choice as well.

+1 on an 870 clone

also if you want to go on the cheap, you can get a Maverick home security edition shotgun. Maverick's the little kid brother to Mossberg that people don't normally talk about. It will take SOME of the accessories that you can get for other Mossberg shotguns.

dvPete

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a couple of the Maverick's with 18" barrels. The only real difference between them and my 500 18" is the placement of the safety, and the Maverick cost about $100 less.

This ^^

Put a light on it, and maybe a pistol grip/shoulder stock combo and you are good to go. Almost all the 500 accessories fit the Maverick.

Latest posts

Top Bottom