best pig stickers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randallss7

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess if anyone does not want in the drawing I would need to know that also.

This knife is made from 0-1 tool steel. What I like about this steel is it is a good balance of hardness and toughness after heat treatment. It has a good reputation for wear resistance for this type of tool steel. This steel comes out of the quench at about 63-65 hrc depending on quenching temperature. 1470 - 1560 degrees produces 65-63HRC perspectively. I tempered this blade at 350 degrees which should produce an HRC of 61 give or take lets say 59-61, remember this knife has a differential heat treatment meaning the blade gets softer as it moves from edge to spine of blade, this gives the knife a little more toughness. This knife will exhibit all the pluses of a high carbon blade, it will hold an edge good, it will be easy to re-sharpen. Now for the minuses, this blade is not stain resistant or "stainless" it will patina, it will rust or stain if not maintained and even for the most tedious of care givers it will eventually change colors, this will not hurt the blade just be aware. I have two hunting knives I made myself one from s35vn and one from 0-1 and I go back to the 0-1 every deer season as I just like it better, it dulls a little faster but re-sharpens a lot easier/faster.

Typical chemistry C .95, Mn 1.20, Si .30, CR .50, Va.20, Mo .50.

here is a link to Spyderco's web sight they have a list of common knife blade elements and what they contribute to the steel if you want to look it over.

http://www.spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/steel.php

willystruck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd like to be added if it's not too late. THANKS!

After reading the whole thread and drooling all over my keyboard, I'm glad my name is in the hat! That is awesome work and I'd be proud to own such a knife.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom