Best way to clean a cruddy milsurp bore

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zipty6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have recently acquired a 1940 K98. It's in rough shape, but the price was right (free.) The view down the bore looks almost furry. I can see rifling, but I think the crud has been untouched for decades. I know what I find under the crud may not be much prettier than the gunk itself, but I've gotta know.

I've tried Kroil and Hoppes #9. it looks like either of these would work, after about a month of scrubbing. I'm hoping to find a quicker or easier method, if possible. I have found several methods online but I don't know what works best.

I figure that other milsurp collectors would know best, so I am seeking your advise. What has worked best for you in the past?

zipty6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been considering electrolysis. It seems to have the potential to be pretty messy, but I haven't ruled it out. I'm also considering picking up some foaming bore cleaner on the way home from work.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I think I might spend some quality time with a bronze bore brush and some Eds Red to get through all the easy stuff and down to the actual metal. A quick inspection will then reveal whether you have a shooter or a wall hangar.

Load up some nice light loads for it and run 20 rds or so through it, see what the bore looks like. you might be pleasantly surprised!

zipty6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think I might spend some quality time with a bronze bore brush and some Eds Red to get through all the easy stuff and down to the actual metal. A quick inspection will then reveal whether you have a shooter or a wall hangar.

Load up some nice light loads for it and run 20 rds or so through it, see what the bore looks like. you might be pleasantly surprised!

I figured the day would come that i'd actually mix up a batch. Do you use the recipe most commonly found online?

1 part Dexron II, IIe or III Automatic Transmission Fluid - GM Spec D20265 or later
1 part K1 Kerosene
1 part Aliphatic Mineral Spirits federal spec TT-T-2981F (CAS# 64741-49-9) or Stodard Solvent/Varsol
(CAS#8052-41-1)
1 part Acetone (CAS#67-64-1)

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
i have found many times that a 'furry' bore is the result of an oiled gun sitting on the butt collecting dust. you might get lucky and end up with a shiny,sharp bore

Latest posts

Top Bottom