Best way to clean a cruddy milsurp bore

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zipty6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i have found many times that a 'furry' bore is the result of an oiled gun sitting on the butt collecting dust. you might get lucky and end up with a shiny,sharp bore

This is what I am hoping. The exterior of the gu is pretty pitted, so I'm trying to keep my expectations down.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Electrolysis and patience. I have performed bore surgery on a host of Mosins and Mausers using this technique. On really dirty ones, you'll find it may take a number of passes, but it works.

zipty6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The foaming stuff made a bunch of black patches. I think it would take a ton to accomplish what I'm after. I see a trip to the hardware store for a steel rod and some rubber rings in my future. Between now and then I will continue to assault the gronk with a variety of aromatic chemicals.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Copper chor boy the copper, NOT copper coated, wrap this around the bore brush you have.
If you want a chemical that removes cooked on and old crud, Berryman carb cleaner is hard to beat.
Follow up that with transfluid and acetone mixed together.

That is if you are still doing chemicals.

zipty6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I ended up running around with the boy this morning, so we stopped by the hardware store. Electrolysis has been going for about 10 minutes now. The crud coming out of the muzzle is impressive. It is very black. He tried to pop one of the bubbles with a toothpick. The stuff stuck to the end of the toothpick was black sludge.

zipty6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is from about 10 minutes in:
gronk.jg.JPG

Latest posts

Top Bottom