Best way to clean a cruddy milsurp bore

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zipty6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Today I gave it two rounds of electrolysis, followed by brushed, patches and Hoppes #9. It still looks like a sewer pipe, but I think it's getting better. It must be, with everything that came out today. Tomorrow will be busy, so I'm going to get back after it next weekend.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used carburetor cleaner on my 2 worst. plugged muzzle end with a dowel and filled the bore from the bolt end. Left it for 4 hrs, then drained and began using a bore brush. It is amazing and disgusting what came out. Followed that up with a buttload of patches and more bore brushes. After almost a package of patches the bore looks great. I would do this only to the very worst of bores though.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After you get it fairly clean - you can load up some "Cream of Wheat" loads for it. No bullet, just powder, and a 1/2 case of Cream of Wheat. Drip some melted Crayon or candle into the case end to keep powder and Cream of Wheat in, and you're set to go. About ten rounds of that will clean the bore without damaging anything. (shines it up)

zipty6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After you get it fairly clean - you can load up some "Cream of Wheat" loads for it. No bullet, just powder, and a 1/2 case of Cream of Wheat. Drip some melted Crayon or candle into the case end to keep powder and Cream of Wheat in, and you're set to go. About ten rounds of that will clean the bore without damaging anything. (shines it up)

That's a new one to me. unfortunately, the ammo I have coming is berdan primed. I'm hoping to get set up to load 8mm, including boxer primed brass, in a paycheck or two.

Latest posts

Top Bottom