Bill to Remove Suppresors From NFA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dear Mr. Horner,

Thank you for contacting me about the Hearing Protection Act of 2015. I value your opinion and appreciate the time you took to contact me.

As a proud gun owner and founder of a small rifle manufacturing company, I strongly believe that the Second Amendment protects our individual right to keep and bear arms. Gun-related tragedies generate pressure to pass restricting legislation, but they would simply undermine the rights of law-abiding citizens without accomplishing their intended purposes. I will oppose all legislation that unconstitutionally restricts the right to keep and bear arms.

Current regulations require buyers of suppressors to send an application to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), pay a $200 tax, and pass an arduously time consuming ATF background check.

On October 22, 2015, Rep. Matt Salmon (AZ-5) introduced H.R. 3799, the Hearing Protection Act of 2015. If enacted into law, this bill would remove suppressors from regulations established under the National Firearms Act of 1934. There would be no application, no tax, and buyers would be required to pass the same National Criminal Instant Background Check (NICS) as law-abiding guns owners.

H.R. 3799 was referred to the House Committee on Ways and Means, as well as the Committee on the Judiciary for further consideration. Although I do not serve on these committees, I will keep your thoughts in mind if the issue comes up for a full vote in the House.
Thank you again for taking the time to share your opinions and concerns with me. Please visit my website to send another message, read my positions on major issues, and sign up for my E-Newsletter. I hope you will also share your experience with my offices and staff here. I look forward to hearing from you again soon. It is an honor to be your voice in Congress.

Sincerely,

Steve Russell
Member of Congress

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I talked to Markwayne about it. He figured it has little chance of passing and zero chance of being signed. I told him they should hide it in other legislation like the Dems always do. He laughed. I was serious. :-/

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I talked to Markwayne about it. He figured it has little chance of passing and zero chance of being signed. I told him they should hide it in other legislation like the Dems always do. He laughed. I was serious. :-/

Still needs to be supported... same thing happened with Open Carry in Oklahoma a number of times before it finally passed.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score

I just got a non-descript "I support the 2A" response email from him on it.

BTW, I also checked again, and we (Oklahoma) have ZERO co-sponsors.

Here's the list of states that have sponsored or co-sponsored the bill.

Texas [8]
Georgia [4]
Arizona [3]
Arkansas [3]
Utah [3]
Kansas [2]
North Carolina [2]
Pennsylvania [2]
Tennessee [2]
Wisconsin [2]
Alabama [1]
California [1]
Colorado [1]
Florida [1]
Idaho [1]
Indiana [1]
Kentucky [1]
Louisiana [1]
Maryland [1]
Minnesota [1]
Missouri [1]
Montana [1]
New Hampshire [1]
New York [1]
North Dakota [1]
Oregon [1]
South Carolina [1]
Washington [1]
West Virginia [1]

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Here's the email I sent:

Rep. Mark Wayne,

I was saddened to see that you had not co-sponsored this bill.

I would encourage you to research this bill. I, and many others in Oklahoma, would also like to see the deregulation of sound suppressors as a registered NFA class 3 item.

As can be seen in many european countries where firearms are far more regulated, suppressors are not. They are considered a courtesy to other shooters, hunters, and to the populace. In addition to the protection of hearing, many potential new shooters are intimidated by the sound and concussion of firearms. Allowing more people to own and use suppressors will enable many more people to join the sport of shooting and hunting, and to take part in their second amendment right to own firearms.

Thank you for your time!

Brent ***

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Here's the response:

Dear Brent,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on gun control. As your representative, I give full consideration to the concerns of the Oklahomans I am honored to serve in Congress.

Like many Oklahomans, I believe defending the Second Amendment is crucial to ensuring our rights and freedoms are protected. These rights are not only necessary for defending ourselves, but also the lives of our loved ones and personal property. As a father of five children, there is little I enjoy more than hunting with my kids. I believe every American has the constitutional right to own firearms for recreational and self-defense purposes. America's founders understood the importance of protecting the peoples' rights to own firearms, and we must not allow this right to be taken away.

Saying this, I will oppose any effort that restricts the constitutional rights of law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms. We should remember that tragic deaths at the hands of criminals are not caused by firearms, but by the individuals using them. Instead of legislating away constitutional rights in search of a superficial cure, we should treat the real causes of firearm deaths by enforcing the laws already on the books.

I encourage you to sign up for my weekly emails at mullin.house.gov to receive updates on federal issues that impact Oklahomans.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write. Please do not hesitate to do so again. God bless!

Sincerely,

Markwayne Mullin
Member of Congress

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Canned and inappropriate response. Why oh why would I think someone in Washington would give enough of a **** about Oklahomans to actually even read their emails?

Already part of the "Washington Elite". Congrats for him. Time to start looking for his replacement.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Suppresors are unregulated and easy to get in Europe so they have to be good - right? How can any progressive, forward thinking politician oppose them?

Latest posts

Top Bottom