Black Powder Rifle Kits

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anybody ever build one? I built a Hawken .50 Cal maybe 30 years ago or so but it was stolen back in 2005 along with some other items in a home burglary. Anyway, I think I’m interested in doing another. Your experiences with these DIY Kits and any recommendations are appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
My brother and I would use our lawn mowing money to buy them. We’d ride our bikes to Otasco and pick up a kit or two. They were fun and something we could build together. Dad,grandpa and us would go have a day of shooting. I was at Cabelas yesterday, they had a Kentucky rifle kit hanging on an end cap right by where you pay for and pick up guns at. I think it was $179. Brought back some memories. Here’s one I did in my early teens
7A0762F1-7336-46AB-82FF-01F04C453ABF.jpeg

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You too? I had a CVA .50 cal Hawken Kit that was built for me by my FIL. I didn’t even get to shoot it. It was hanging over the fireplace. The rear window of the house had been broken out and the rifle was one of the things taken. It didn’t have any serial numbers on it, so a police report was useless.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Helped my dad put a CVA percussion .50 together (I was pretty young, didn't really help that much lol) probably late 70's??? Serial number is 000010 I believe, I'll take a pic after while.Purchased at OTASCO in Bartlesville.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I built a .45 cal. percussion many years ago, as well as a .45 underhammer boot pistol. Sold them both back in '90. I really wish I had that pistol back. It's ridiculous what they sell for nowadays! Besides, it was just fun to shoot. @dlbleak 's grandpa built a rifle just like mine, but his was finished out much nicer than mine. He was quite the artist & craftsman!

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I built a .45 cal. percussion many years ago, as well as a .45 underhammer boot pistol. Sold them both back in '90. I really wish I had that pistol back. It's ridiculous what they sell for nowadays! Besides, it was just fun to shoot. @dlbleak 's grandpa built a rifle just like mine, but his was finished out much nicer than mine. He was quite the artist & craftsman!
It was a beautiful rifle. Don’t know what happened to it but I suspect my worthless uncle knew...

Latest posts

Top Bottom