Body Armor In Your Prepping Plan?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vooduchikn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
None of this sh@t stops a head shot or an extremity shot and it is all HEAVY. Figure you are on foot (most likely scenario) and you are going to be sucking hind tit when it comes to cardio. I see a lot of talk about 5.56, but I'd be worried about 30-06, 243, 7mag, and every other deer caliber out there that this stuff will not stop. If it does stop it, your ribs are broken, good luck on getting away.

Spend your hard earned money else where, unless you train with this stuff on constantly, you will just be a SLOW target, so please do the rest of us a favor and wear your expensive armor....

And putting this heavy stuff on kids? Get a grip, literally....youll be dragging them...

SoonerShooter08

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In an ideal world you could carry everything and be prepared for every situation. In the real world there are size and weight constraints. A lot of people who immediately suggest rifle plates have not thought about mobility and endurance.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In an ideal world you could carry everything and be prepared for every situation. In the real world there are size and weight constraints. A lot of people who immediately suggest rifle plates have not thought about mobility and endurance.

A lot of people buy things and since they have them, think they are "ready". This is false. I hope those that have all the tacticool gear train with it and know how to properly employ it. Otherwise, you're in for a rude awakening.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A lot of people buy things and since they have them, think they are "ready". This is false. I hope those that have all the tacticool gear train with it and know how to properly employ it. Otherwise, you're in for a rude awakening.

My rifle and overall approach is KISS for a reason. Lightweight and simple makes things easier in a high stress situation. I tend to stay away from the TAS accessories.

CASTRATE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I run long distance, and always have extra weight with me. I have ran with a 40lb weighted vest for 10 miles a couple of times, but that wasn't very fun. It's all very doable if you put your mind in the right place. I don't have anything that is considered "body armor", but I do have armor plate from my last job where we built armored parts for the M117 APV by Textron Land and Marine. It is by no means light, but it has stopped everything I've fired at it: 5.56 penetrator, 30-30, .243, .270, 7.62x51, .300 ultra mag, .338 win mag and .375 H&H 300 grain hornady DGS. All of this being said, I wouldn't be worried about moving fast do to the fact that my wife is 8 months pregnant, and would travel at her and the baby's pace. I know I can travel fairy quickly for several miles with a decent amount of weight, but we need to think about the less capable ones we would be traveling with. We are only as fast as our slowest person.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My rifle and overall approach is KISS for a reason. Lightweight and simple makes things easier in a high stress situation. I tend to stay away from the TAS accessories.

Don't get me wrong, I think a fighting rifle should have a red dot and a flashlight at least. Can you run it without these? Sure, but I feel these 2 accessories should be included in your kit. But we're getting off topic, so I digress.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's kinda misleading. Level 3 does not guarantee you're protected against M855. You need level 4 to get that. There are some plates called level III+ that claim to protect against ss109/M855, but that is not an industry wide standard. What you get is plates that wont stop M2-AP preventing them from getting to Level IV.

FWIW, my TAG Rampage with Level IV ceramic SAPI plates, 6 loaded mags and IFAK totals 18 pounds. That's without water or the soft armor backer (I have a concealable 2A vest as well). I didn't go with an ESAPI plate set because of the cost and I'm counting against bad people carrying a Garand with M2-AP. I wouldn't go less than Level IV due to the increased prevalence of AR's and AK's these days.

If you're considering hard armor, you really need to look at this:

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=85112

Just having armor isn't enough and you need to understand it's role and how to wear it. Then go out and train with it on, particularly from unconventional positions.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
FWIW, my TAG Rampage with Level IV ceramic SAPI plates, 6 loaded mags and IFAK totals 18 pounds. That's without water or the soft armor backer (I have a concealable 2A vest as well). I didn't go with an ESAPI plate set because of the cost and I'm counting against bad people carrying a Garand with M2-AP. I wouldn't go less than Level IV due to the increased prevalence of AR's and AK's these days.

Just having armor isn't enough and you need to understand it's role and how to wear it. Then go out and train with it on, particularly from unconventional positions.

BTW, the carrier, SAPI plates, mag shingle and IFAK pouch cost me $425 in like new condition off the equipment exchange on M4C. Some 2A vests will cost you that much.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Again, all the level III plates I have seen have stopped multiple 20+ hits from AR's and AK's. These are steel or steel/titanium plates, not ceramic. Ceramic loses it's integrity after it is shot. Steel weighs more, but can take more punishment. Another trade off.

Latest posts

Top Bottom