Book Gun Storage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm always looking for new ways to conceal or store firearms and here's one that I've been using for a while now. We have tons of books & bookshelves throughout the house, so this works well for us. I picked up a Sig P365 the other day and thought that I'd snap a few pics while making a book storage thingy for it yesterday, just in case anyone wants to try something similar.

You really only need a large book that's thicker than your handgun, hardcover preferred. We have a lot of extras around here, but they're typically available at the nearest yard sale for .25 cents if needed. Here's the one that I used for this project.

Gunbook.jpg

I traced around the pistol and decided to add mag storage in there as well. Make sure that your trace lines are at least a quarter inch wider than the outside of the pistol, that way it's not too loose and you can put some padding in to help protect it as well.

gunbook1.jpg gunbook2.jpg

I use an X-Acto knife to cut out the pages. IMPORTANT: Make sure that the outside book page edges are lined up correctly when cutting the interior portion. Sometimes you need to hold the cover of the book vertical while doing this, because it pulls the pages out of line when it's held open very far.

gunbook3.jpg

After you have the compartments cut out at the depth you want, then take Elmer's glue and line the inside. This will keep the pages from coming apart when you open the book, and help to solidify things. I put a piece of plastic wrap between the book cover and the first page to keep them from sticking together, then I put it on the bookshelf tightly lodged between two other books to dry.

gunbook3.jpg gunbook5.jpg

I then lined both compartments with black felt.

gunbook6.jpg gunbook7.jpg

Here it is on the shelf. The book sticks out like a sore thumb to me, but I seriously doubt that it would to anyone else.

gunbook8.jpg

Neanderthal

Special Hen
Reaction score
“Fear can hold you prisoner. Hope can set you free.”

Andy Dufresne from Shawshank Prison

Looks great! If you do more than one, would you keep the book spines the same color to make them easier to find in an emergency?

I have a few of them around here already and have no problem at all finding them. Most of my books are reference material and I utilize them on almost a daily basis, so books like "Angels and Demons" shine like a bright light on the shelf to me.

Neanderthal

Special Hen
Reaction score
Been hiding one like this for years. You did a better job at cutting out paper than I did, but mine works fine.

HA! My earlier attempts weren't quite so purdy. Here's one that I've been using for my Kahr PM9 for years. I got the P365 to potentially replace the Kahr, but I'll sure be sorry to see it go.

GunBook9.jpg

Neanderthal

Special Hen
Reaction score
Then just keep the Kahr as a Book Gun.

I'm seriously considering that, it largely depends on how much upcoming doctor bills are going to be. The Kahr has been one of my favorite cc pistols for a few years now and I have zero complaints with it. The only reason that I got the Sig to replace it is the mag capacity and sights.

Neanderthal

Special Hen
Reaction score
Why not cut out a square (like a box) rather than fit it to a specific gun?

You could use a foam insert to fit the gun if desired, and easily change it to another model without redoing that (or another) book.

Just a thought.
:drunk2:

That's a good idea! I may have to experiment with that, if I can find some spare foam laying around.

Latest posts

Top Bottom