Bore Snake

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vnamvet6869

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
QUESTION 1

I've got a Beretta 92fs that I like to keep really clean. Was thinking about picking up a bore snake for use at the rage right after shooting. To get the gunk out while its hot, then follow through with traditional patch and hoppes 9 cleaning once I got home. Good idea or not?

QUESTION 2

Is there any difference from the actual "hoppes bore snake" and the "common chinese bore snake off of ebay"? The chinese one is about $8 cheaper than hoppes

Thanks

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like to keep all of my guns cleaned and lubed, too. I've used bore snakes on my shotguns mostly for at least ten years, now. After the days shooting is complete, I like pulling the worst of the powder residue and crud out of the barrel, before casing it. I never have any trouble cleaning a pistol barrel quickly, after shooting jacketed ammo. Any bore solvent soaked patch, then less than a dozen strokes with a correct caliber size bronze bristle bore brush cleans my pistol barrels to the point where I can swab a dry clean patch down and back with no sign of fouling. Look down the bore at rifling lands that shine like a mirror. If you want to take the extra step just after shooting your Beretta, pulling a bore snake thru it's barrel, why the hell not? If it gives you satisfaction. Drive home knowing your pistol is a bit cleaner than the other guy whose just finished shooting.

Maverick1911

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love using the bore snake first to pull out a lot of that gunk....two pass throughs with a bore snake or 15 patches...pretty easy choice. I do follow up with a brush/ patches to get it to where I wasn't it. I have found that bore snakes on rifles, specifically the .22 cal., is very tight to pull through and make sure you wear a glove or you will tear up your hand.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have never used a bore snake. So educate me. How do you get the bore snake clean after using it? I see the dirty patches fall out and I wonder how do you keep cleaning a rifle/pistol/shotgun with a dirty bore snake?

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So do you guys wash them? What do you wash them with, just plain soap and hot water? If they are indeed renewable by washing, then I am in on them.

Maverick1911

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Honestly I have used mine for a year or so and haven't had to wash it. They are pretty durable and you have to remember how much purchase area those things have as opposed to a paper thin patch. One pull is like 200 patches I would imagine. But when I do clean it I would just use plain old dish soap and run in warm water and let thoroughly dry making sure to keep it stretched out hanging or on a table.

Latest posts

Top Bottom