Bowling Pin match in Duncan

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FredNOk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That sounds exhausting. Lol. I watched one of those on youtube where a guy was running thru shooting, but had to stop because there was another guy still inside the maze thing. Was pretty scary just watching it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't run. Have not been able to for a few years. Mine would have to be a Limp and Shoot

That's ok too. We have a couple at our range that shoot USPSA that don't travel too well, but they like to shoot and try to figure out the best/fastest way to get through each stage. They know they aren't going to win. Its all about the shooting, talking guns and being around friends.

We have the Chief of Police from Derby Ks come to our steel challenge matches at the Ponca Range. He has no legs and is in a wheel chair.

He can shoot pretty darned good!

FredNOk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay, so all of the vids I was able to get are up on my FB page now. Some of the photos I got were corrupted by the videos eating up space on my memory card. Darn the luck!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That sounds exhausting. Lol. I watched one of those on youtube where a guy was running thru shooting, but had to stop because there was another guy still inside the maze thing. Was pretty scary just watching it.

That is something that is being highly discussed among competitors in USPSA, and other shooting competitions. What I see is that the Range officer (RO) did not make sure the range was secure before allowing the competitor to start shooting. The main problem was the Opaque walls that were up. The RO couldn't see the course of fire and didn't see the guy behind one of them.

I've never seen a match with opaque walls like that. Ours are made from the orange construction fencing so that one can see through them and make sure nobody is down range. Safety in any competition is the #1 thing that all ranges want.

FredNOk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I could see how not being able to see would be a major safety problem in any event with live ammo involved. B.t.w., some of the guys reported ricochets at the range today. I guess some bullets hit the metal parts of the table braces.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I could see how not being able to see would be a major safety problem in any event with live ammo involved. B.t.w., some of the guys reported ricochets at the range today. I guess some bullets hit the metal parts of the table braces.

That does happen. The berms take care of most of the issue.

Even shooting at wood framed target stands will result in ricochets on occasion.

Redriverboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Steel challenge is speed shooting at steel. Most use .22 LR with pistols or rifles. The object is to hit/ring the steel in the shortest time. Its mostly standing in a box and shooting. Very little movement.

USPSA on the other hand is all about running and gunning. Shot with centerfire pistols in different divisions/levels.

The rules are very strict that if your moving, your finger is out of the trigger area. Range safety officers are moving with you to observe any safety violations and stop the shooting if there are any.

A stage is set up with barriers and a combination of steel and paper targets to shoot at. The competitor decides how they want to run the course and shoot the targest in the least number of shots and with the quickest time. Its very competitive and a ball of fun.

There may be up to 8 stages set up for a match. The divisions run from factory stock guns to open rules guns that are allowed to use muzzle brakes and optics.

ive really been wanting to try steel challenge ive seen the one they have in alex are there any others

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They are all over the state at different ranges.
The Ponca City range has theirs on the 4th Saturday of the month.
Google the OKC gun range, Oil Capitol Gun Range, USSA in Tulsa, and ATA range in Pryor for their dates.

I'm not sure if SCRAP in Duncan has steel challenge, but they do run a USPSA match.

FredNOk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
According to the calendar on the site, they had a USPSA Pistol match on Sunday and they have a club meeting tonight right down the street from my place. I've never heard of it until today.
Here is the calendar of events:
3rd Monday @ 7 pm – Club Meetings, NORTH SIDE of Senior Citizens Center on 7th street (north of Elder)

2nd Saturday @ 10 am – Steel Challenge Matches: Contact Ray Ingram 580-255-7543

3rd Saturday @ 9 am (March - October except August) – MBAR Matches: Contact Guy Hulsey 580 606-2392

2nd Sunday @ 8 am (March - October except August) – High Power Rifle Matches (NRA 100 yd.): Contact TBD

3rd Sunday @ 10 am – Pistol Matches (IPSC): Contact Jon Ax 580-353-1724

Last Saturday of Every Odd-numberd Month @ 9am – Member Work Day

Latest posts

Top Bottom