Boyd Stock Fit Up

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Quail Hunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have 3 Boyd’s stocks on 3 different Remington 700 rifles, 22-250, 243 & 308 and I have the same issue across the board. When I tighten the rear action screw to the recommended torque spec of 25-35 in lbs the screw interferes with the bolt, preventing the bolt from operating correctly or really at all. I called Boyd’s and they gave me the same torque specs as what I could find from Remington. Has anyone else run across this or have any ideas what can be done? I have considered finding a washer for the action screw or possibly filing or grinding the screw down enough to allow the bolt to pass the screw and operate correctly.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
Depending on the stock you took off you could have 2 screws a front and back. Front: 1.195″ Rear: 1.660″ Its possible you mixed them up or are using the wrong screw. If that isn't the case then sometimes you do have to file them down to correct length if they are interfering with the action. Some companies even sell a longer screw so you can file it to fit if you can't get enough threads into the action.

https://www.stockysstocks.com/accessories/replacement-screws.html

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First question- Are you tightening the front screw first? The one in the front under the barrel must be tightened first.
Second Question- what were the original stocks? walnut or plastic? I recently came across a synthetic factory ugly thing that I put on a barreled action from a walnut stock. The wrist of the plastic stock was much thinner than the wood stock so I encountered the same problem. Ten seconds on the bench grinder fixed that problem.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have 3 Boyd’s stocks on 3 different Remington 700 rifles, 22-250, 243 & 308 and I have the same issue across the board. When I tighten the rear action screw to the recommended torque spec of 25-35 in lbs the screw interferes with the bolt, preventing the bolt from operating correctly or really at all. I called Boyd’s and they gave me the same torque specs as what I could find from Remington. Has anyone else run across this or have any ideas what can be done? I have considered finding a washer for the action screw or possibly filing or grinding the screw down enough to allow the bolt to pass the screw and operate correctly.
Did just that and it worked Also helped with floating the barrel. I’ve given up on Boyd’s stocks. The last 4 all needed extensive work to make the rifle sit straight in the stock. Each one as delivered sat off center in the barrel channel. I now pay more for a Stockys stock but they don’t require any extra work

OK Quail Hunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Depending on the stock you took off you could have 2 screws a front and back. Front: 1.195″ Rear: 1.660″ Its possible you mixed them up or are using the wrong screw. If that isn't the case then sometimes you do have to file them down to correct length if they are interfering with the action. Some companies even sell a longer screw so you can file it to fit if you can't get enough threads into the action.

https://www.stockysstocks.com/accessories/replacement-screws.html

I thought that might have been the case initially so I pulled them both out and double checked, but I will pull them and measure to make sure.

OK Quail Hunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First question- Are you tightening the front screw first? The one in the front under the barrel must be tightened first.
Second Question- what were the original stocks? walnut or plastic? I recently came across a synthetic factory ugly thing that I put on a barreled action from a walnut stock. The wrist of the plastic stock was much thinner than the wood stock so I encountered the same problem. Ten seconds on the bench grinder fixed that problem.

Yes, I tightened the front screw first, and tried tightening them both about half way then tightened the front first and still had the same problem. All 3 had the synthetic stocks from the factory. Sounds like I may need to pull out the file and do a little modification.

Latest posts

Top Bottom