Browning A-Bolt issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wannabe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Need some help, I traded for a browning a bolt 300 win mag and it is having issues with casings getting stuck. First round with a cold barrel fired fine and ejects normally. Second round loads fine and fires but is hard to eject. The bolt lifts but is hard to pull back. The 3rd round fed fine, but after firing, was very difficult to remove. Actually had to place the butt of the stock on the shooting bench and force the bolt back. The ammo is brand new browning nickel plated 155 grain. Any help or past experience with the same problem would be helpful.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
by the sounds of it the rounds are expanding in the chamber too much.I assume chamber is clean and barrel is clean.

You can build up a lot of pressure in a very dirty fouled barrel.
If that is not the case I would call or contact Browning.
Maybe that particular ammo got loaded a bit hot..I am sure they would make good on it if you were to need to send the fired cases or unfired ammo to them for testing.

Had some Hornady Leverevolution 30-30 that would split the shoulders..They wanted the old cases and sent 2 free boxes of ammo and one box to shoot up and send back to them for testing and another 20 count box to do with whateve ya want.

The ammo they sent did not get any split shoulders.

Stuff like that happens.
Stop shooting it and clean gun or contact Browning

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@swampratt is correct concerning the chamber. If you recently cleaned your rifle and didn't get all the solvent/oil out of the chamber this will cause a pressure spike. I had it happen when I was doing the stupid "barrel break in" with a new barrel. You could also have a short throat but I wouldn't think a 155gr bullet would be into the lands. Anyway you can take pictures of your brass (sides, base, neck/shoulder) and post them so we can take a look?

Wannabe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can take pics with of the brass this evening. It did the same thing with 180 grain federals with brass casings. I have left the rifle with the gun smith at my local range.

Latest posts

Top Bottom