Building 24" AR in 223 to shoot 1000yds. Scope Suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wind will most likely be your biggest fight with long range shooting the .223.

Last time I shot my .223 long range, we were at about 550yards, and with a 100 yard zero, I had about +12moa on it. My quick-o (and possibly wrong-o, haha) calculations say that's about -60".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OauT2neohws

The last 4 shots on there are from me and my savage 12fv. 4 shots and 4 hits, with 69gr SMK Black Hills ammo out of a 1:9 barrel. It was a calm day though. Results probably would have been much worse varying winds.

And I was using a Millet TRS-1 4-16x, btw. Pretty good scopes for the money. You might look into the SWFA SS fixed power scopes too. They get pretty good reviews.

Leadlobber

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I regularly shoot a Savage .223 m10, 20 in. 1 in 9 twist out to 550 yds we shoot 8 in plates from a bench .If the wind is in my face or at my back I can usually connect. I'm using Hornady 68gr bullets ,behind Varget powder.Cross winds make hits much more difficult .We have some 6 in plates but I really have to it working to hit them at that distance

I use a Leupold 6.5 X 20 with varmint reticle and target turrets.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First off I have read about a guy who built a 223 just to make it to a mile so 1K is doable, the best choice well who cares I fish for Hybrid Bass with an ultralight and 4# test LOL

For a budget scope there are several but the one that I like is the WoTac scopes, they are built right in Gleenpool and yep they are not a Nightforce but hey I've beat the hell out of the one on my 243 and no problems yet, MOA OR Mil but they have MOA adjustments which is a good thing.

The Super Sniper scopes are good glass only problem your dealing with a fixed power and for paper you'd be fine, 10X is fine out to 1K when shooting steel but if your after groups you may want to step up the magnification.

Just in case anyone would like to call bs here's the story, just cause you think it can't be done there are folks like me that are just hard headed enough to prove you wrong :-)

http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/shooting-223-mile-1.php

Later,

Kirk

Latest posts

Top Bottom