Building 24" AR in 223 to shoot 1000yds. Scope Suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Chambering aside (and you've gotten good advice on that - certainly change that up):

and I want to be able to shoot at 1000 yards.

It kinda depends. What's the shortest range that you want to be able to shoot at? If the shortest range is 300 yards or more, then a fixed target scope in the 30-50 power range. On that budget, Sightron SIII or SII Big Sky, Leupold, Weaver, etc. if you want to be able to shoot also at "normal" ranges (under 300), then a variable.

Without know more, I'd say probably this one:

http://swfa.com/Sightron-36x42-SII-Big-Sky-Riflescope-P11091.aspx

Back on chambering, in my understanding, quite a few people do reasonably well at 600 with 1 in 7 twists and heavies (80-100 grainers) in .223. But it goes to hell in a handbasket not too far past 600. The BCs just aren't there.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First off I have read about a guy who built a 223 just to make it to a mile so 1K is doable, the best choice well who cares I fish for Hybrid Bass with an ultralight and 4# test LOL

For a budget scope there are several but the one that I like is the WoTac scopes, they are built right in Gleenpool and yep they are not a Nightforce but hey I've beat the hell out of the one on my 243 and no problems yet, MOA OR Mil but they have MOA adjustments which is a good thing.

The Super Sniper scopes are good glass only problem your dealing with a fixed power and for paper you'd be fine, 10X is fine out to 1K when shooting steel but if your after groups you may want to step up the magnification.

Just in case anyone would like to call bs here's the story, just cause you think it can't be done there are folks like me that are just hard headed enough to prove you wrong :-)

http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/shooting-223-mile-1.php

Later,

Kirk

Thats pretty cool. I know a lot of people underestimate the ballistics of rounds. Heck, I've seen a .40s&w shot 250yrds.

I say if someone wants to build an AR platform and try to push the envelope, go for it. HELL, if they can get good results at 1000yards,... give me the damn load data so I can start making some of them bullets.

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lots of F-Class shooters are shooting .223 at 1000 yards. It can be done, it is quite difficult, it is not for anything more than punching paper at 1K.
A 75 gr match at 1k in a 10 mph crosswind will drop -450 inches and drift 168 inches witha velocity of 1033 at 1K and takes 1.86 seconds to make the trip at 52 degrees and 78% humidity at sea level.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To be fair, I don't think Dr. Tad has any experience with guns, not even through video games. If you search his posts and look at some of the abominations he's come up with you'll know it to be true.

vdub

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's a laugh.

The truth is, Dusting runs his mouth even though he's never hunted a day in his life, and probably never shot beyond 100 yards. He is the world's biggest

POSEUR

Who doesn't know the first thing that he's talking about.

But he plays the HELL out of Call of Duty and Halo!

Unfortunately he didn't get the new ones for Christmas, so he has nothing better to do on his school break than wait around for anything I post and try to find a way to discredit it. What a loser, lol.

Going to have to inject some real knowledge here. I have seen DustinG (cousin of AliG!?!?! Nah, DustinG ain't gangsta enough) shoot out to 1275 yds and make several hits on a 45% IPSC target (I think that is the righ percentage). No I am not talking about shooting 100 rounds and hitting 5 times.

I also don't think he plays games either but I think that is because he is a noob and gets pwned!!!! Maybe it is because he doesn't like them, I am not really sure but I will go with he is a noob and get pwned because that is funnier!!!

I will say that your firearms creations are very interesting and some of the logic is lost on me. I don't have to deal with it so whatever floats your boat.

For the 223 at 1000 yards, I have it on very good faith and an awesome guy named Mauser Mike that the 223 will not shoot out to 1000 yards. That is unless you have a custom twist barrel and special woo-hoo bullets. These bullets cannot be obtained through normal means but you have to steal a Leprechaun's lucky charms. Then you can trade them back to the Leprechaun for these magical bullets. Otherwise you are left with a gun shooting as seen on this chart:

[Broken External Image]

Latest posts

Top Bottom