Building 24" AR in 223 to shoot 1000yds. Scope Suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beercules

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
3000fps out of the muzzle of an AR sounds super-scary to me. Not saying it's not true, but man, that's pushing things isn't it?

3000 FPS muzzle velocities aren't uncommon with 5.56 chamberings. M855 clones are in the 3100 FPS range from a 20" BBL and M193 clones are actually in the 3200 FPS range from a 20" BBL. The heavier stuff, such as MK262 is down in the 2600-2700 FPS range, however.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I really don't think Barrel length plays much part in .223 velocity past 24". There just isn't enough powder in the case to be burning anywhere near the end of a 26" barrle and truth be told 22" IS OPTIMAL for the St. Marks powder used in the A.M.U. 77 grain load, that we can't get, the powder that is. It is also the stuff that Hornaday is playing with. A 24" barrel will be fine, and a medium powered scope will be all that is needed. Bushnell has quit a following as do others, but you really don't need anything over 20X and even then the days you can use it are limited. KurtM

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
doctorjj, thanks for the offer but truth I'm not all that good of a teacher and I don't think I'm as good as I used to be! back in 98 thru 2002 yeah I could have shown you some stuff but now I work so much that I don't get out to the range NEAR enough. I was going thru 200-250 rounds every other weekend.

The hardest part for me is to find a place to shoot! that is not a couple of hours away. Oh well I guess trigger time at 400 yards is better than nothing :thumb: Later,

Kirk

BulkAmmo

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
As some of the others have said you can get out to 1k with a .223 but it's not the best pick for that distance.

I would suggest that you save a little more money for a better quality scope if you are looking at the 1k range. I've found that the optics run at least as much as the rifle I'm building it for and up to twice as much. Good glass and rolling your own ammo will make larger in roads to great marksmanship than a more expensive rifle.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
doctorjj, thanks for the offer but truth I'm not all that good of a teacher and I don't think I'm as good as I used to be! back in 98 thru 2002 yeah I could have shown you some stuff but now I work so much that I don't get out to the range NEAR enough. I was going thru 200-250 rounds every other weekend.

The hardest part for me is to find a place to shoot! that is not a couple of hours away. Oh well I guess trigger time at 400 yards is better than nothing :thumb: Later,

Kirk

You wouldn't have to know much to be able to teach me a lot. Ha!!

I probably should just break down and take a course at Badlands or something.

Latest posts

Top Bottom