Burning lot's of wood

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We had 4 trees twisted out of the ground by a storm about 3 years ago. 3 were pretty good sized, and the fourth was a huge 150 year or more old pecan tree. Cut and split most of them and put it in a covered area to keep it dry.

Still have the 3 ft diameter pecan trunk about 12 ft long and the two y's off 20 ft or so still out by the pond. My saws are not big enough to cut them. I stacked the pecan separate and like the above poster just burn it for special flavor.

We build a fire most every day, but let it die down during the night to supplement the furnace. I guess we really need to install a more efficient fire place.

We really enjoy the "open" fire.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you have an open brick fire place you can cut some steel and line the back wall and sides with it.
This steel will radiate more heat into the room...
You will sometimes be surprised at the difference.
There are other ways to get heat out of the fire box that includes tubing and fans or just use heat rises theory to accomplish the feat and some tubing/ pipe

Dozermonkey

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
We burn also. Since I own a Dozer service, we get free wood all the time from job sites. I bring home semi loads and dump it behind our shop and cut stack year round. Keeping track of the seasoned stacks can be a head scratcher some times. A problem we constantly have is actually getting rid of trees on the job sites. Sometimes it not in the budget for customers to haul them off and we don't burn on site due to insurance liability. There is always someone drives by the site and asks to cut wood but 95% never show up and those that do get in the way and take FOREVER ! So... If any one is serious about free fire wood , pm me. Dozermonkey. HAPPY NEW YEAR !

Ps. For example , I have four acres of wood on the ground near Arcadia.

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We take a sharpie and write on random cut ends in a wood stack. We stack in Rick sized stacks mainly and date them that way and write if was dry or wet wood when stacked

Sent via message in a bottle

securitysix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Our cast iron wood stove is our primary source of heat in the winter and has been for over 20 years. We have a few space heaters, but for the most part, it's the wood stove that does the job. We mostly burn ash (when we can get it) or oak with some hackberry mixed in. When I can get away with it, I love burning pecan (long burning, good heat, smells amazing), but some people don't like the way it spits when you open the door to the stove.

We pay $70-$75 per rick, but we have to go get it ourselves. Not too bad if you've got a couple of people doing the work, but the second truck load ALWAYS feels like more work than the first. It is good exercise, though, and my Tundra loves getting to actually be a truck.

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you have an open brick fire place you can cut some steel and line the back wall and sides with it.
This steel will radiate more heat into the room...
You will sometimes be surprised at the difference.
There are other ways to get heat out of the fire box that includes tubing and fans or just use heat rises theory to accomplish the feat and some tubing/ pipe

I'll have to look into the steel idea. We have the typical cityslicker brick fireplace in our 1980 built house in the Moore area. It doesn't put out much for heat.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I did the steel for the first time for a friend that had some mortar cracks in the bricks.
Fixed the mortar and then took some flat steel I got from standard scrap iron to build BBQ grills from and lined his interior brick.

He told me he used to sit on the bricks in front of the fireplace to warm up..
He could sit there for 10 minutes easy.
Then after lining it with steel he said only about 2 minutes with the same big fire going.

I did it to save the brick and mortar.. but got the added room heating from it on accident.

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your fire brick is just setting there soaking up the heat and sending it up your chimney..The steel plate is going to reflect it back in your room...It really does help..On the other hand we have a Waterford free standing stove that is cast iron but lined with fire brick..The brick helps us use the heat even after the fire goes out..

Latest posts

Top Bottom