Busted by 3 Doe and a Fork Buck! Dang!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Set up stand Friday evening, camped cooked out Friday night. Got to my stand 45 mins before legal shooting time. 0845 Her come 3 doe being chased by a fork. One doe was nice sized. She came to within 20 yds. Put the crossbow scope on her vitals, fork came running up again and they all bolted. Watched this chase for about 15 mins before they moved up the draw quite a way. Not 30 mins later, I hear snorting. Deep snorting. And there he is at 50 yds, nose to the ground. Snorting and flipping his head. He never saw me but was walking around where the doe were. He came right down the draw within 20 yds behind some bushes. Head on to me, chest shot. Looked like he was going to keep coming. All of a sudden CRASH...... Up the hill are the does and the fork and they bolt. Big boy swivels his head and takes of right for them!

Damn!!! Biggest buck I have seen in four years. 8 points, thick body, wide rack..... I was shaking. Never saw him after that. Had it been rifle season it would have been a chip shot from the moment I first saw him. Public land. I went in deep into the thick stuff. I can't stop thinking about that dang deer and what almost was. It took a lot of control not to attempt a couple of marginal shots while he was coming in. Had to come home tonight. Wife is with child and needed me here....... I might make it back mid week. Working on a case of buck fever. Archery hunting is a rush!!!!

spooncg33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I understand about being tempted to take a marginal shot. A few weeks ago was my first time on public land this year and I had a nice 8 pt come from my right side staring straight at me. The only shot would have been at his white patch on his neck at 22 yards which would have been an awful shot. He slowly turned behind a tree, never giving me an ethical shot and left. I haven't seen him the last 3 times out, just some does.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm glad y'all have passed on the shots you described. Although it sucks to miss a chance at a great buck, the feeling of wounding one and not finding it is much worse.

The rut had yet to start. Y'all will get another chance. Good luck!

Jeremy1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm glad y'all have passed on the shots you described. Although it sucks to miss a chance at a great buck, the feeling of wounding one and not finding it is much worse.

The rut had yet to start. Y'all will get another chance. Good luck!

Yup, I don't shoot unless I am am reasonably sure I can make the shot and clean kill. Not to mention the fact that I hunted with a guy 15 years ago that was not so ethical. I will never do that again....... Duck hunting and we get to the spot and he starts jumping fences.... Not pretty. Argument led to a quick trip home and no more friendship. I want to hunt and succeed, but not at the cost of being unethical or even criminal. I am sure I'll get a chance at big boy in december after the gun season, if he makes it!!! I'll be watching to see if any monsters come out of this place during the controlled hunts....

Latest posts

Top Bottom