Buying an AK 47

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking at buying an AK 47......sometime down the road. I've been looking, but I really don't know which manufacturers are decent. Was wondering if I could get some advice on good middle of the road manufacturers (and those to stay away from). I would probably not spend anymore than $1000, lower if possible. My use for the gun is straight zombie apocalypse.

BrandonM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Palmetto State Armory Gen3 or their new AKE is a good place to start looking. WASR rifles have jumped up pretty high in price for what they are but have an amazing track record of reliability. The Zastava line of rifles are a pretty decent buy also. I just bought an M92 ZPAP “pistol.” I haven’t got to shoot it yet though.

BrandonM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
AK Operators Union on YouTube can provide hours of education and entertainment on the AK platform as well.

Stay away from anything Century Arms is building themselves. They import some fine AK’s like the WASR but can’t make a quality rifle themselves.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Palmetto State Armory Gen3 or their new AKE is a good place to start looking. WASR rifles have jumped up pretty high in price for what they are but have an amazing track record of reliability. The Zastava line of rifles are a pretty decent buy also. I just bought an M92 ZPAP “pistol.” I haven’t got to shoot it yet though.
Actually, fit and finish of new WASR's are pretty nice. Since they are making them for profit now the QC is pretty good

BrandonM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, the lack of dimples in the receiver is a turn off for me. The PSA will likely be more accurate also. The WASR is a proven workhorse of reliability though. It just depends on what people value in an AK. I’m not knocking the WASR at all. It’s probably the best option for anyone wanting a budget minded import rifle. I think the PSA AKE will prove a very reliable and accurate platform also. It’s just too new to know for sure if it can hang with the mighty WASR!

BlackDeath

Marksman
Reaction score
Century imports the Wasr and RH10 which are similar. If you can get them from primary arms when on sale it's a decent price. Everything has gone up

Latest posts

Top Bottom