Buying an AK 47

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking at buying an AK 47......sometime down the road. I've been looking, but I really don't know which manufacturers are decent. Was wondering if I could get some advice on good middle of the road manufacturers (and those to stay away from). I would probably not spend anymore than $1000, lower if possible. My use for the gun is straight zombie apocalypse.

I haven’t paid as much attention to their inventory the last few weeks. But, I suggest going to Big Boys and take a look at their inventory. I’ve seen them give some really good info out showing some of the differences. Mike Blackwell, the owner, is very knowledgeable.

Mike is also one of the partners in Two Rivers Arms.

https://www.tworiversarms.com

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking at buying an AK 47......sometime down the road. I've been looking, but I really don't know which manufacturers are decent. Was wondering if I could get some advice on good middle of the road manufacturers (and those to stay away from). I would probably not spend anymore than $1000, lower if possible. My use for the gun is straight zombie apocalypse.
Like stated already in here PSA has some great AKs that they build completely from me US parts. I am an AK nut and I’ve played with most every type of variation that there is. Right now the only PSA AK that I have is one of their 9mm pistols, the AKV. I got it from another member on this board that was selling it last year new in the box. The thing runs like a Timex. There aren’t many other manufacturers that make completely new AKs in the US. There are some but not many an their prices will be much higher than PSA. The majority of knew AK that are coming in right now are either going to be Romanian WASR or Serbian Zastava. And my understanding is Zastava is starting a plant in the US to get around the stupid parts rules.

The Romanians know how to make AKs. They are either the number one or number two seller right after Russia as in production amounts. There’s nothing wrong with the WASRs. They have gotten better with time but Lord oh Lord the prices for AKs are insane now. Everybody thinks they have a Arsenal AK looking at the prices. I remember when I first got into AK in the late 90’s. I like them because they were dirt cheap and you could get them for 2 to 300 bucks. They were neutered but that was easy to fix And it was still that way about 15 years ago. Romanians are either the number one or number two producer right after Russia as in production amounts.
There is nothing wrong with the Russian Saiga AKs but you’re gonna pay out butt, same thing with the Chinese. They are more collectors items nowadays. Yugo/Zastava are good.

If you want American then a PSA will be around the same or less price or less than. PSA are out of everything right now and I just looked at Atlantic firearms and they want 799 for a WASR. That is nuts .

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I haven’t paid as much attention to their inventory the last few weeks. But, I suggest going to Big Boys and take a look at their inventory. I’ve seen them give some really good info out showing some of the differences. Mike Blackwell, the owner, is very knowledgeable.

Mike is also one of the partners in Two Rivers Arms.

https://www.tworiversarms.com

Thank you! I appreciate your input. I'l have to take a trip to Big Boys.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like stated already in here PSA has some great AKs that they build completely from me US parts. I am an AK nut and I’ve played with most every type of variation that there is. Right now the only PSA AK that I have is one of their 9mm pistols, the AKV. I got it from another member on this board that was selling it last year new in the box. The thing runs like a Timex. There aren’t many other manufacturers that make completely new AKs in the US. There are some but not many an their prices will be much higher than PSA. The majority of knew AK that are coming in right now are either going to be Romanian WASR or Serbian Zastava. And my understanding is Zastava is starting a plant in the US to get around the stupid parts rules.

The Romanians know how to make AKs. They are either the number one or number two seller right after Russia as in production amounts. There’s nothing wrong with the WASRs. They have gotten better with time but Lord oh Lord the prices for AKs are insane now. Everybody thinks they have a Arsenal AK looking at the prices. I remember when I first got into AK in the late 90’s. I like them because they were dirt cheap and you could get them for 2 to 300 bucks. They were neutered but that was easy to fix And it was still that way about 15 years ago. Romanians are either the number one or number two producer right after Russia as in production amounts.
There is nothing wrong with the Russian Saiga AKs but you’re gonna pay out butt, same thing with the Chinese. They are more collectors items nowadays. Yugo/Zastava are good.

If you want American then a PSA will be around the same or less price or less than. PSA are out of everything right now and I just looked at Atlantic firearms and they want 799 for a WASR. That is nuts .

Thank you for the information. I sure appreciate your advice!

Latest posts

Top Bottom