Buying First .22lr Pistol

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jc5420

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well as it says, I am currently looking to aquire my first .22lr semiautomatic handgun. I have been reading online for a while about rimfire handguns and there are so many mixed opinions that its hard to tell what is first hand experience and what is BS. So I thought I would ask you guys for your personal experience with rimfire semiauto handguns.

Specifically looking at:

Ruger 22/45
Ruger SR22
Sig Mosquito - I have a P226
Walther P22
Bersa Thunder 22
Heritage Rough Rider 22

My price limit on a .22lr handgun is about $350

I am sure there are others that I have not mentioned and would appreciate it if you guys could inform me of those in my price range as well.

Also my primary purpose for this purchase is for an "accurate reliable plinker." I will not shoot paper too much, mostly soda cans and metal spinners.

Last edited:

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a Walther P22 and liked the way it felt, but it was picky on ammo.
I bought a Sig Mosquito and it was total juck. I will never own another.
I have had a Ruger 22/45 in the past and it was a good gun.
I have a Ruger SR22 that Tommy at SSP hooked me up with. It is a great gun.
My fav of the semi-autos is the Browning Buckmark. It is alot like the Ruger 22/45, but alot easier to break down and clean.
The two Rugers and the Buckmark will eat about anything you feed them.

Greenr50

New to the site!
Reaction score
I have a Sig 226 and bought the mosquito since it was similar in style/operation. Unfortunately I have not had a good experience with the mosquito as it has trouble with ftf and fte even when using the recommended cci mini mags. i wanted the mosquito to be the fun "plinker", but it just isnt reliable. I recently purchased the ruger sr22 and couldn't be happier with it . It has flawlessly cycled even the cheap Wal-Mart bulk pack stuff and been a fun plinker.

Good luck in your decision...

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Browning Buckmark or Ruger 22 .. or 22/45 if you are trying to use a grip similar to 1911.
a better choice yet would be S&W .22 revolver, but those are priced more than $350.

can't go wrong with any Ruger .22 or Buckmark ... both are dead nut reliable with a reputation for eating any .22 ammo thrown at it. and there's a LOT of junk .22 ammo out there.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am sure these guys will tell you that semi 22lrs are know for being finicky when it comes to ammo. Nothing is a bigger buzz kill then when you buy a bulk pack of ammo and the gun jams every mag. I would get something that is know to eat anything. The Browning and Ruger are both know for eating anything. I am going to SSP in the morning. It might be a good place for you to check out, if they did not get cleaned out today. lol

jc5420

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I attend SSP quite often. Mostly with firearms transfers, but I have purchased a few firearms from them as well. Best place around to buy from locally from my experience with them.

TulsaGeoff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My Ruger 22/45 eats up the ****** Winchester m22 that my AR .22 CMMG kit would misfire 1 out of 10 on (or sometimes more). It so far has gone through federal bulk, fed match, CCI bulk, and the winchester with no issues. The only issue with it is taking it apart, but it is honestly not that bad. The buckmark is supposed to be good too. I'd stick with those two brands for your first .22 imo.

My S&W 15-22 eats everything too and it is probably my favorite gun at the moment. Not sure about their 22 handguns.

Latest posts

Top Bottom