Buying first pistol

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd like to say I've encountered more defective Taurus than Hi-Point.

I just think those in this thread claiming that this thread is full of gun snobbery are mistaking what is merely legitimate concern for kashking's home defense situation. Just for the record if the other posters were being gun snobs they wouldnt be mentioning keltecs and sigmas.

W

White Kid

Ehh, there isn't a lot of good handguns out there for $200. I'd save up for something like a Glock 23, Ruger SR40C, or the XDm 3.8 compact (in .40 caliber).

For the moment as far as a good but yet small handgun that I own (under my dad's name/registration) is a Glock 23 Gen.4. It's got enough "firepower" if you would say in a small package.

But I mean that's what I'd do, save up more money and but one of those handguns I mentioned.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The fact that you think a comparison between hammers and 'hipoint vs a better built weapon' is a good analogy is just as amusing.

You wouldnt let your wife buy a brand of car that was known for being a lemon would you? The guys were just trying to steer him away from a product known to have problems to protect his household. Many hipoints don't go bang every time, its reputation is warranted. (yes i have first hand experience)
Glad your amused, sorry you didnt get the point...apples and oranges make fruit salad.
The man said he had xxxx amount of dollars to pay for a gun, sometimes theres no "saving for a better gun".
A gun... is better than ..no.. gun.
If its all you can afford ..thats It, know your gun well.!
NO gun is fool proof , some more so than other ,I agree.
EHHh ...nevermind...;)

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glad your amused, sorry you didnt get the point...apples and oranges make fruit salad.
The man said he had xxxx amount of dollars to pay for a gun, sometimes theres no "saving for a better gun".
A gun... is better than ..no.. gun.
If its all you can afford ..thats It, know your gun well.!
NO gun is fool proof , some more so than other ,I agree.
EHHh ...nevermind...;)

Actually, if you're in a situation where you are being threatened, introducing a gun that goes click can certainly be worse than having no gun at all.

Once the gun goes click, your intentions are made pretty clear. You can't really say "my bad" at that point. There's no guarantee that the bad guys will or won't do anything before that point, but you can be pretty sure that they are going to be more pissed off that you intended to shoot them.

That being said, if you find a gun (made by anyone) that is reliable enough to make it through 300-500rds without any malfunctions, then I say go ahead and use it.

BTW, for about $300 you can get a S&W SD9 (or even an old Sigma). It's a very reliable gun.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually, if you're in a situation where you are being threatened, introducing a gun that goes click can certainly be worse than having no gun at all.

Once the gun goes click, your intentions are made pretty clear. You can't really say "my bad" at that point. There's no guarantee that the bad guys will or won't do anything before that point, but you can be pretty sure that they are going to be more pissed off that you intended to shoot them.

That being said, if you find a gun (made by anyone) that is reliable enough to make it through 300-500rds without any malfunctions, then I say go ahead and use it.

BTW, for about $300 you can get a S&W SD9 (or even an old Sigma). It's a very reliable gun.
And I agree with this...thats why I said "know your gun",a simple ..tap rack might do the trick,certain bullets might not work well in it.
At least if its a high point you might be able to beat them with it... ;).
I agree ..save up ,IF you can.buy the best gun you can afford..and learn it.
Fair option Sigma or SD-9
So with that cleared up....aluminum or wood for protection? ;) I think I choose aluminum...faster swing?
Wasp spray?

.I jest partly

KrashKing405

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I finally got to take the .45 out to the range. Put a couple boxes through it with no issues. Yes it is heavy, Yes it is ugly as sin, but it works for me. I am now on the prowl for a 1911 style pistol. Will it be in the near future? Doubt it, but I can DREAM can't I?

Latest posts

Top Bottom