Camillus Pilot Survival knife

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebelracer79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420337636.494102.jpg

I found this knive at my grandpas and had a couple of questions.

All the ones like it I've seen have a shorter blade. Is this one more valuable? Any idea what it's worth? Also the scabbard is kinda shot , where can a get a new one or a serviceable used one ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rebelracer79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420386192.537683.jpg
These are the only markings I can find on the knife no markings on the scabbard. One of my grandpas brothers served in WWII, we think that's where he got it, but with both of them passed away it's hard to say where it came from

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After a bit of research I discovered it can't be WWII.

Correct...it is probably a Vietnam era knife. I believe that this particular version was produced from 1962 to 1967 (would need additional photos and measurements to be sure), but it could be earlier as the first year of production was '57 (if it's a 6" blade). The post '67 knifes will be date marked on the side of the hex shaped pommel.

IMHO there isn't a think wrong with the scabbard...it's original to the knife and matches its condition. It is in much better condition that most of the early versions that you'll encounter. I'd leave everything as is.

rebelracer79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is the 6" version, with the peened pommel, no date stamp, main problem with the scabbard is that the thumb snap is gone, I'd like to use it as a camping knife and I'm afraid the old leather will fall apart with much use.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is the 6" version, with the peened pommel, no date stamp, main problem with the scabbard is that the thumb snap is gone, I'd like to use it as a camping knife and I'm afraid the old leather will fall apart with much use.

If it's a 6" then I believe it was made during the '57 - '61 timeframe. It's your knife and you can do with it as you please, but if it were mine I would honestly use a modern knife instead. No reason to ruin a fairly scarce knife that would probably sell in the $100-$150 ballpark in it's current condition. I definitely would advise against sharpening the blade even if you decide to carry it occassionally.

If you are needing an original replacement scabbard / sheath, my best advice is to watch eBay. If you happen to find one, I'm sure that it will bring $50-$75+ alone. Otherwise, just look for a custom or commercial sheath that will fit the knife.

rebelracer79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
K thanks for your help, I was actually planning on purchasing a new KA-BAR until I found this one , that might be the better option so the pilots knife can last for a few more generations in the family

randallss7

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
looks like good leather if its not to far gone, its very simple to re-set a snap and make a new retainer strap, i probably have every thing needed in the scrap bin. A little leather conditioner will go a long way on it also...lol.

Latest posts

Top Bottom