Camping and me

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sampson

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
5B53ED23-7BC0-49A9-BB93-6FED317D9F60.jpeg
What is a buddy heater, does that mean you snuggle with your hunting buddy? Unless she is Alex Zedra or Kirsten Joy Weiss, no thanks. :rollingla Then again, they would both out shoot me!
Ain’t no broke back mountain buddy heater going on in our camp. Wouldn’t be opposed to the old lady as a buddy heater but she hates the cold. So, I’m stuck with the old stove and the commercial buddy heaters. But I won’t judge if anybody else wants something different as a heat source.
DC929174-5F40-4118-9545-883B81E0CDBA.jpeg

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 185687
Ain’t no broke back mountain buddy heater going on in our camp. Wouldn’t be opposed to the old lady as a buddy heater but she hates the cold. So, I’m stuck with the old stove and the commercial buddy heaters. But I won’t judge if anybody else wants something different as a heat source. View attachment 185686

What were your floors in those tents? Did they have the sewn in floors or you put in your own with plastic, carpets, etc?

Sampson

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What were your floors in those tents? Did they have the sewn in floors or you put in your own with plastic, carpets, etc?
No floors, it would be too hard to keep clean. I use a rubber mat in front of the stove/doorway as it defrost the ground around it and makes a muddy mess. The rubber mat reduces the mud and makes for nice place to take off your boots and dry them out by the stove. I use a tarp in the area for the cots and the buddy heater to keep socks and feet dry while changing clothes. It works good and we love the tent. It’s a Davis wall tent made in Colorado. If I had to do over again id buy one with a large door and screens front and back for venting and air flow Or maybe some side windows would help in the summer. Also don’t fry food inside as the smell will be there for years, heating food and water on the stove is great but we fried a rabbit inside one winter night and you could smell it for about the next three years.

Sampson

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No stove, in these pictures but it gives you an idea of the space and the mistake of fried food inside the tent.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Nice set up.

We used to have an Army mess tent that was set up with a big wood stove in the center. Plenty of room for everyone and it stayed warm enough to be comfortable.

TeamTomlyn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We do it 1 of 2 ways. For winter camping I have an old stock trailer that doubles as my hunting shack. It has been insulated and can be closed up with plywood. Throw in a queen sized air mattress and you are golden. That little Mr. Buddy will cook us out of there.

The next option lives in the back of the farm truck behind the back seat if we arent carrying them on the trails. Hammock camping is the only way I sleep outdoors. 2 hammocks, 1 rain tarp, 2 bed mats, 2 sleeping bags and some MREs. With this rig we have slept in the heat of summer and down to about 28 in the winter in complete comfort. Oh and I can set or strike camp in 5 minutes without breaking a sweat.

IMG_0421.jpg
IMG_3279.jpg

Beau B

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We do it 1 of 2 ways. For winter camping I have an old stock trailer that doubles as my hunting shack. It has been insulated and can be closed up with plywood. Throw in a queen sized air mattress and you are golden. That little Mr. Buddy will cook us out of there.

The next option lives in the back of the farm truck behind the back seat if we arent carrying them on the trails. Hammock camping is the only way I sleep outdoors. 2 hammocks, 1 rain tarp, 2 bed mats, 2 sleeping bags and some MREs. With this rig we have slept in the heat of summer and down to about 28 in the winter in complete comfort. Oh and I can set or strike camp in 5 minutes without breaking a sweat.

View attachment 185968 View attachment 185969
Looks pretty similar to my setup! Love sleeping in a hammock. I like that stock trailer idea.
C8F32F4A-9169-403E-AEAA-22E0E4E3BBEE.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom