Canning in Lawton

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We grew up on canned food. Grandparents had an empty lot next door to the house that was used for a family garden. Everybody met to weed, plant, weed, harvest, weed, and then had a big canning party a couple times of the year.
We never did ripe tomato's as mom was afraid of them, but did the beans, okra, and squash. The cucumbers were pickled and canned.
I currently do pickles and okra with the half of a jalapeno pepper in each pint bottle to add a little spice.
I tried pickling green tomatoes last year, but the Juliette variety(a tad bigger than cherry tomatoes) just didn't do well. The skins were extremely tough.
When fall gets here, I'll pickle the green tomatoes just before the first frost. The vines are full of them about that time.
Why was she afraid of tomato's??? She watch "Attack of the Killer Tomato's" and get nightmares??? LOL

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My Mom canned green beans and new potatoes together, and lots of ripe tomatoes. Dad and I would sometimes have just a jar of tomatoes as a meal. They're delicious.

My Uncle truck-farmed, and he gave us all the cull tomatoes (odd shaped, insect bit, etc.) we wanted. So we had them cold from the fridge when in season (ate 'em whole like apples), and canned when out of season. :D

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why was she afraid of tomato's??? She watch "Attack of the Killer Tomato's" and get nightmares??? LOL
OMG! That was the most campy movie ever produced! Some dude in leather hood and goggles trailing a parachute in the background while tomato's were killing people. Attack of the killer tomatoes II was even worse. You had to be drunk to appreciate the humor. No sane person could ever enjoy it with a straight mind! :D

Back to the topic, I don't know why mom was afraid of canning tomatoes. Probably some old husbands tale of getting sick or something if not done right.
We've canned tons of salsa over the years, so don't know why she was afraid of doing tomatoes.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its pretty safe as long as you know what you can and cant do. And green beans is one I learned last night, you cant do. Knowledge is power

This was back in the day when folks water-canned EVERYTHING. I actually prefer frozen or dehydrated foods better than canned anyway so it's all good around here. If the hubby wants to can, he can can. I'll stick with my Excalibur ... and the freezer ... :bolt:

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OMG! That was the most campy movie ever produced! Some dude in leather hood and goggles trailing a parachute in the background while tomato's were killing people. Attack of the killer tomatoes II was even worse. You had to be drunk to appreciate the humor. No sane person could ever enjoy it with a straight mind! :D

Back to the topic, I don't know why mom was afraid of canning tomatoes. Probably some old husbands tale of getting sick or something if not done right.
We've canned tons of salsa over the years, so don't know why she was afraid of doing tomatoes.
A lot of people never have a problem canning things they shouldn't can. Problem is there is that chance that canning that one thing may end up with botulism in it and boom, ya dead.

Rice for example..... The starch causes swelling in the rice and the water in-between the rice doesn't distribute the heat evenly and thus isn't thoroughly cooked or sterilized

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This was back in the day when folks water-canned EVERYTHING. I actually prefer frozen or dehydrated foods better than canned anyway so it's all good around here. If the hubby wants to can, he can can. I'll stick with my Excalibur ... and the freezer ... :bolt:
I'm canning for the End of the World, so freezers may not work LOL

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A lot of people never have a problem canning things they shouldn't can. Problem is there is that chance that canning that one thing may end up with botulism in it and boom, ya dead.

Rice for example..... The starch causes swelling in the rice and the water in-between the rice doesn't distribute the heat evenly and thus isn't thoroughly cooked or sterilized
Ok, I can see the starch thing in rice, but green beans?

Latest posts

Top Bottom