Car audio places

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ARnut

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looking to have speakers put in my new to me vehicle. Who do you all use in the OKC area?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I always just put my own in. Sorry no help there.
I do research and find what the stock size is and go back with that unless they are in the package deck and can mount larger ones and not interfere with things.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ARnut...

In the past I've used Audio Extreme(when I was younger and had "fancy trucks"...now I'm older and into a more comfortable ride). NW 63rd just West of Broadway Ext.
[Broken External Image]

There's one I see on North May....Kind of North of NW 30th and South of NW 36....give me a minute and I'll get it.

Got it...Nicks Stereo......3611 N May. I do not know ANYTHING about them but they have been there a few years.
6e8f283d7292d20efdd5d36a06968340c9e9dd2e

Last edited:

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Same here, just do my own stuff. Saves a ton of money and works just as well. If you want to do it yourself the real easy way just go to Crutchfield, put in your vehicle info, then select what you are looking for. They will send the speakers you order with the stuff you need to put them in and directions. If you need a special tool they have it as well. Most of the time the speakers or stereo's they sell will have the adapter so there is no need to buy extra or cut the factory wiring so even a lease vehicle can be done, just put the old stuff on a shelf and then stick it back in.

The only reason to go to a shop is if you are unable to turn a screw, have too much money, or want something really major done. If you can put together an AR changing speakers is too simple to pay what will end up being over 50 bucks an hour to some schlub to work for about 30 minutes and charge you for two hours.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Didn’t realize this was still a thing. The factory systems in most cars nowadays are even better than what was top of the line 10 years ago. But then again when you’re old like me and only listen to talk radio it’s hard to discern quality.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Didn’t realize this was still a thing. The factory systems in most cars nowadays are even better than what was top of the line 10 years ago. But then again when you’re old like me and only listen to talk radio it’s hard to discern quality.

Depends on the brand for sure. All manufacturer's do not do use premium quality parts and often the most overlooked thing is the stereo. For talk radio the single speaker in the dash is fine when you are on a 1000 mile trip and want to listen to music it will make you pull your hair out. For me it's a case of a 15 year old vehicle that has 6 inch door speakers that are just a paper cone from the factory. Changing them out to some modern design speakers and tossing a 10 inch sub in the back seat is the only way to have it sound decent.

And to the OP remember that the next weak link in the system will be the head unit. You can run more power to a speaker than it is rated for if the signal is clean, crank up the power on a head unit that can't output clean signal and it will start to fry the tweeters. Once you hear distortion in the sound turn it down about a quarter of the way and that is your max listening level. With a factory stereo you will want very efficient speakers if you want it loud or plan to make more changes. https://www.lifewire.com/amp-power-speaker-efficiency-3135077

ARnut

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Depends on the brand for sure. All manufacturer's do not do use premium quality parts and often the most overlooked thing is the stereo. For talk radio the single speaker in the dash is fine when you are on a 1000 mile trip and want to listen to music it will make you pull your hair out. For me it's a case of a 15 year old vehicle that has 6 inch door speakers that are just a paper cone from the factory. Changing them out to some modern design speakers and tossing a 10 inch sub in the back seat is the only way to have it sound decent.

And to the OP remember that the next weak link in the system will be the head unit. You can run more power to a speaker than it is rated for if the signal is clean, crank up the power on a head unit that can't output clean signal and it will start to fry the tweeters. Once you hear distortion in the sound turn it down about a quarter of the way and that is your max listening level. With a factory stereo you will want very efficient speakers if you want it loud or plan to make more changes. https://www.lifewire.com/amp-power-speaker-efficiency-3135077

Would it be better to upgrade the deck first then do the speakers later ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree totally on the fact that speakers can handle clean power much better than dirty power..dirty as in distorted from turning a weak system up too much.
I upgraded the wife's head unit first then as she blew the speakers I would then change them.
Well 1 blown speaker and the pair gets replaced.

Now in my 95 corolla I kept the stock head unit as it seemed pretty good and replaced the speakers with Pioneer and Jensen.
She got Kickers in the Pontiac.

Now when I replace stock speakers and keep the factory weak head unit i look for a speaker with 60 watt RMS rating or less.
Seems it is harder to get a lot of sound from a 250 watt RMS speaker with a weak 10 watt input.

But if you are going to upgrade all of it with amps etc then you may want to jump up in the watt department.

I do not know if you know what the specifications mean on an amp or head unit but RMS is the real watt you will get.
Then look at the amount of distortion at that rated power.
Some may say 75 watt RMS at 2% distortion and another may have the same watt but at .05% distortion.

I have an old Alpine stereo with square buttons and they light up green.
The power output is pretty lame.
I have 20 watt RMS speakers but I think that old thing puts out 7 per speaker.
Pretty sad to listen to it.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

It is really all over the place. My OEM BigHorn RAM truck sounds way better then the wife's OEM Escalade (in my opinion). Still, I've been slowly squirreling away parts to make it better. I look at it like reloading ammo. Its an extension of A hobby.

Latest posts

Top Bottom