1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

Card fraud

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by adamsredlines, Feb 22, 2021.

1. adamsredlines

adamsredlines Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Is it my luck or is it getting BAD out there?
    Few weeks ago I had to get a new Credit Card because somebody decided to use my card to make an online TV purchase at a Meijer store in Michigan, then charged an uber ride too which I can only assume was to go pick it up.

Tonight I'm checking my primary debit card and notice 5 transactions for online orders at Chipotle in Newport Beach, CA. So I guess now I get to shut that one down and get a new one.

2. TwoForFlinching

TwoForFlinching Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I had a year of constant fraudulent charges a while back. Replaced all the cards and set myself up a secured card for internet purchases. I'd see my total in cart, hop on the app and load that amount on the card, then make my purchase. I think the only place that has an actual card is Amazon.

TeamTomlyn likes this.
  3. dennishoddy

dennishoddy Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    We have had to replace three cards over the years for fraud. One in Elmira NY for purchases at a Tractor supply, one at Portland Oregon for some gamer stuff from walmart, and the last I don't remember.
    Story is, that we tried to get the card owners to be aggressive in prosecuting the CC fraud but they didn't seem interested.
    The walmart sale was easy to track in Portland. I had a shipping address and a proposed date of delivery to a business in a strip mall as displayed on google earth.
    Called the Portland Police dept and was told it wasn't big enough fish for them to worry about.
    Nobody cares.
    We didn't lose any money as the CC company covered the losses but that isn't the point. They should be proactive going after these folks and aren't.
    That just makes them more bold knowing they can make any number of attempts at fraud and nobody will come after them.

4. rc508pir

rc508pir Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    That sux man

I quit using my debit card online for that same reason. Thats direct access to your account.

I now use my credit card and then trans funds to pay for my purchase

5. Okie4570

Okie4570 Moderator Staff Member

Rating
    100%
    We've had to replace a couple over the last few years. The only common thread to those being compromised and some of my friends have their info stolen, is that they were used at fast food restaurants a couple days prior. McDonald's, McAlister, Taco Bell and a Wendy's. All places where the card never leaves your sight. First time it happened to me was years ago. Buddy and myself went inside a McDonald's grabbed a burger to go and he did as well. Couple days later my card was declined, the bank had flagged it for unusual activity. Purchases were made at a cycle shop in Utah, cycle shop in NY and train tickets in Glasgow, England!!

Was telling my buddy about it a couple days later and he said his card was declined too. I ask him what the purchases were, and they were at the exact same places as mine! McDonald's kiosk was the only common thing, unless someone was near with an RFID scanner.

dennishoddy and Oklahomabassin like this.
  6. dennishoddy

dennishoddy Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    On another note, a friend of the wife went out to dinner with us one evening. Single girl.
    We both paid with CC and I promptly put mine back into the wallet and friend (Mary) put hers back into her purse.
    A week later and several hundred dollars on the CC, I got the card back from a checker and happened to see that our friends name was on it.
    The server had gave us the wrong cards back and we never looked at them while doing transactions around the city.
    We exchanged cards and settled up on the accounts with cash.

7. SPDguns

SPDguns Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Write in sharpee on the back of your card in the signature block "NOT VALID WITHOUT PROPER ID"

chadh2o, jakeman and Okie4570 like this.
  8. murphranch

murphranch Sharpshooter

I've had a MasterCard for about 12 years that has one helluva protection plan. Crazy thing is I do not remember setting this feature/function up or requesting it. Anytime the card is used in an unusual area-like a distant state or for a purchase that is questionable I get both a call and an e-mail to which I respond with a pass code. If no response from me in 90 minutes the purchase is automatically flagged and appropriate action is taken. At first I had no idea the card did this and only when calling to find out why my card was declined did I figure this out.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

9. 1shott

1shott Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    With the pin pads these days the cashier most of the time does not handle your card, unless its a drive thru

BobbyV and O4L like this.
  10. 1shott

1shott Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Turn off your wifi and blue tooth on your phones when in public never join a open or public wifi.

chadh2o, O4L and jakeman like this.