Carry Experience Continued

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtxtreme21

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I posted an earlier thread about my first carry experience even though I've owned a carry license for 13 years. It's amazing to me that I never noticed the signs and how oblivious I was to non-carry places.
Now that I've started carrying everyday I've found that there are so many places that my family and I go that I am not supposed to carry. I have entered many places without realizing that I wasn't suppose to carry there.
Basically, unless I'm told that I can't carry there, I'm carrying there because I don't take the time to ascertain whether or not it is allowed. My wife is worried that I am going to get in a lot of trouble if I get caught.
It really doesn't make sense to me to even have the legal ability to carry a fire arm if it is illegal to carry in so many places.

I've purchased one of those lock boxes with a cable so I can store it under my vehicle seat when I get rejected at the door of any establishment. My thought is that I'm not going to get a fine or thrown in jail just for attempting to enter a building... right? Wouldn't I just be told that I'm not allowed to carry there? My thought is that they will turn me away and I will lock it in my vehicle, return to the security person, show them that my holster is empty, let them pat me down, let them take my pocket knife (*joke*), and finally be admitted. My wife's solution is to just leave it at home. This is one of the reasons that I never carried before... it just seemed like a hassle.

The problem is, now I'm hooked. I really think having an IWB holster and a small fire arm has made all the difference. I almost forget I'm wearing it and I am no longer self-conscious about walking around in public with a loaded fire arm. However, I really like the idea that I would have a fighting chance to protect myself and my family. This the whole reason I started carrying.

I think it is crazy that we are not allowed to carry at sporting events. These crazy people that perform mass murder in public places is one of the reasons I want to carry. If someone comes into a theater and begins shooting at the audience, I would be elated if audience members fought back. I know this is a delicate subject. I fall into that category of "Bad guys don't have a conceal carry license". I think that people who go through the training and the legal process to carry should be treated with respect and gratitude instead of fear.

Advice: Will I eventually run into the wrong person that decides I need to get a fine or jail time for trying to carry where I'm not supposed to? Will it be a federal offense? I will start researching these questions but if anyone has experience let me know. Especially law enforcement people because I imagine that you've had to deal with this before.

Recommendations: Only issue I've had so far is when my shirt rides up. Like playing billiards or bending down to get something off a low shelf. I am planning to change my wardrobe a little bit just so I feel even more comfortable carrying. I'm a t-shirt & jeans guy. Do any of you guys/gals suggest where to buy extra long shirts? I'm also thinking about wearing more button up shirts because they fit lose and hang lower on me. I'm not a jacket guy. Once I'm inside I'll be taking off the jacket... also summer is coming.

Sorry for the long post and the rant but I'm new to this, I'm hooked, and I just need to figure some things out.

Thanks,
Gary

COZICAN

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"Will I eventually run into the wrong person that decides I need to get a fine or jail time for trying to carry where I'm not supposed to? Will it be a federal offense?" No offense but you really need to understand the SDA if you are going to carry and the best way to do that is read it. Over half of it is about training and permitting so there's really not that much left except what you want and need to know. And yes, you can get into BIG trouble. My $.02

Coz

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, read and understand the law. You can ignore signs on businesses, but don't take my word for it, look it up and understand it.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The trouble starts if, after you are found to be carrying, they ask you to leave and you refuse....they can't just snap their fingers and make a cop appear and then demand you be charged.

kinggabby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Every Nov. 1st they update the SDA. No not serious trouble. Only serious trouble if it is a forbidden place. Bar, professional sporting event, Post office, city, state or federal building etc . Gun buster signs hold no weight of the law. IF asked to leave you just leave. Only a $250 ticket if you don't and police show up. https://www.ok.gov/osbi/documents/SDA_LAW_BOOK.pdf

gtxtreme21

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep, I read it 13 years ago when I received my license. I am going to read it again. This is really my point... it doesn't seem worth having the license. And, it doesn't seem worth carrying. What is the point of having it if it is at home or in the car?
- Gary

gtxtreme21

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks @kinggabby. This is exactly what my understanding is. I would never refuse to leave and I would never argue if I was told I wasn't allowed to enter with a weapon. In those situations I would politely leave and store my gun in the lock box under the seat of my car. There is a huge misconception that my wife and other people have stated... hence this post. And, I am going to re-read the SDA.

- Gary

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Check Duluth Trading Co. for the long tail shirts. The ones advertised as being "anti-plumber's butt" will work fine for concealing a pistol when you need to bend over. Also, remembering to bend at the knees rather than the waist will help. If I have to reach for a high shelf, I turn my gun side in toward the shelf before reaching up.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Also read the current sda it has change since the book you got 13 years ago. I only carry concealed and enter place with gun buster signs all the time , no one ever knows. Places that are prohibited by law I either don't enter or stow the gun in a lock box like you discribed.

UncleBigToe

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your point is rite on and well taken....even with all the laws on our side we still can't carry in the most highly sought after target areas for bad guys....!! How Do We Change This!?

Latest posts

Top Bottom