Carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigchuck83

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
there are three handguns in my carry lineup the primary and general EDC is an Hk P30 V3 in 9mm. I'm generally comfortable with 15 +1 of either HST or Gold dot rounds with another 15 in a spare magazine. For me this pistol is far better than a Glock 19, try as i might this just shoots so much better for me than any Glock. secondary gun is a S&W 586 no dash with 4 inch barrel loaded with 158 grain gold dot .357 magnum hollow point and backed up by two of the same ammo , and lastly is a S&W 4516-1 with 230 grain HST hollow points.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm generally comfortable with 6+1 and a spare mag of 124 gr Gold Dots. If I think I need more, "oomph" I may carry 8+1 of 230 gr Gold Dots and a spare mag of 8 more. I always carry a folder as well. If I need more than that, then the shtf in a big way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
It goes without saying that I feel some trepidation about not having any big bore on me when I go light. And I have wondered. Yes, I've been lectured by the tongue in cheek pundit, saying, "Shot placement - it's all in shot placement. Not how big the bullet is!" And I digested this morsel of wisdom from our clucking, finger wagging guru, who chortled on and on.

But I was still bothered by my uncertainty of the stopping power of the Makarov - of the maligned 9x18mm. "It's just a little more than a .380," they say.

So, let's see. Let's see how it does on the range. Not against four layers of denim in front of ballistic gelatin.

Let's shoot a 4x4 with it. Let's see what we have here...

i.imgur.com_wtpuS3I.jpg

i.imgur.com_ponSmY1.jpg

i.imgur.com_TO1Q95N.jpg

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love my Mak, what kind of grips (on your mak) are those Jr?
They are made by an Israeli outfit named FAB. You'll have to wait several weeks for the grips to get here from Israel.

I've got several different sets of grips for this Bulgarian, including one that's still on the way from Moscow. It has a mag release and a laser on the grip. I bought it using PayPal one month ago but haven't received it yet - I may never receive it. But it was one of those "have to haves," and the Mak is an EDC in the chest band for me. My main reason for sticking with the Mak is that I can remove the firing pin and punch the firing pin channel using a Q-tip with no problem whatsoever.

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I'm having to dress in such a way that I can only carry one, it's always this one. I know, I know. The limitations. Well it's going in one of my pockets anyhow - just the way it is.

i.imgur.com_K7lkRzC.jpg

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's in my right blue jeans pocket right now. It is often in my hip pocket, too. When I wear a jacket, it goes in the hand pocket.

A lot of yall know this, but even more don't, because maybe you've not carried one in your pants pocket enough to pay much attention to pocket holsters. But that Kramer is flared at the top like that so that it will catch on the inside of the pocket and won't pull out with the 340 during the draw.

i.imgur.com_7O3g8LZ.jpg

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
These are all beautiful handguns. I'm a fan of the little SW revolvers myself, though i don't own one at the moment. Very good for pocket shooting if it comes to that. Neat little guns.

I personally would never carry anything lower than a .38 +P/9mm. That's personal preference. The little .380s just aren't comfortable enough for me to shoot, and i trust the FBI's determination on the matter. That having been said, i wouldn't want to be shot with any gun, period.

a .22LR might be alright for assasinations, when you can plan things out and do it execution style, but if someone is ambushing me or i'm being robbed, i'd like to have a little extra power. Hell, you can kill people with a BB gun, it's all about shot placement. The bigger your round and it's expansion, wound cavity etc, the higher chance of stopping the threat.

If you go point blank with a .380, it can rattle around inside someone and **** up their insides. I don't begrudge people for what they carry, and carrying a small .380 or a 9x19 makarov is far better than not carrying at all. Carry what you're comfortable with and what you can hit with, in my opinion anyway. At close range, a smaller caliber weapon is very effective. I wouldn't use JHP's in anything below a 9mm/38+P though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom