Carrygun Match at Heartland December 19th!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am happy that you all liked the match.

I was a bit concerned about how the Zombie Santas would be received, but now you'll know what to do if ever confronted by one. (this IS a practical match, after all!)

Let me know if you have any ideas for stages or elements to include. Always looking for new ideas.

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The results are posted here.

The Zombie santas were great. The new scoring system and the fact that the Santas had scoring rings made them just fine. The thing I disliked about the other REAL world targets was that the scoring was always differnet depending on who was scoring becaseu there was no distinct "A", Wound, or whatever zone.

I will say the new scoring area is a bit generous. I really like the way the guys at OKCGC use the bonus reduced time for hitting the centere zone. I know that adds another synamic to the socring, targets, etc. but it is cool to get time taken off for aiming hard.

I love those plastic targets. I think we should shoot an entire stage of about 40 of those. stacked everywhere front to back.

I also enjoy the the varied counts per target and the strong/weakhand only shooting. It keeps me thinkgin under stress and that is what this match is all about. If you can keep your head and not shoot a bunch of penalties or procedurals you will do good here.

I think we should do a stand on one foot stage in the future. If you were wounded in a gun fight it changes the dynamics of the gun fight. Don't ask me how I know.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for a great match David.

The tennis balk was a tough decision to make. Take 1 second to miss and eat the 5 second penalty. Or take 5 seconds to actually try to hit it, then miss and take the 5 second penalty and the time it took to aim. I liked it though.

I like stages where thought is involved instead of just hosing every target. More no-shoots or non-threats mixed in would be nice.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great match Dave. I had a friggin' blast! Can't wait till the next one. Can you post some results here? For some reason I can't get onto boomershooter.com to check. Thanks.

Mike

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great match Dave. I had a friggin' blast! Can't wait till the next one. Can you post some results here? For some reason I can't get onto boomershooter.com to check. Thanks.

Mike

Can you follow this link? http://www.boomershooter.com/forums...-12-19-10-carry-gun-match-heartland-outdoors/

If you can't send me a PM with your email address and I will email you the results. I can't post anything larger than 19kb or something ridiculous on this forum nor can I get anyone to give me access to increase my file posting size limit. This is one if the primary reasons we created boomer shooter.

David E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here are my thoughts on scoring:

In an actual confrontation, a good shot now beats the hell out of a perfect shot one second later.........because you may not be able to fire any shot one second later, much less a perfect one.

To that end, the TQ-21 scoring does have a generous center mass scoring zone.

IDPA, in my view, has too much of a scoring penalty attached to not hitting the 8" circle. As a result, people slow waaaay down to make sure they hit that arbitrary circle. Do you think that a hit 1" above the circle at 12 o'clock isn't going to be at least as effective as one that cuts the scoring ring 1" lower?

Add to that, many people are not familiar with the IDPA scoring rules, such as the "Failure to Neutralize" penalty. (which is assuming quite a bit, as the target very well could've been neutralized with peripheral hits that would be equivalent to broken arms, etc.)

But since peripheral hits aren't the goal, that's why it costs so much as a time penalty.

The easy fix to the scoring situation is to call out the number of "Alpha" or "Delta" hits then add the seconds at the bottom of the new (since last night) score sheets. RO's called out "Three!" to denote a single wounding hit and the scorekeeper wrote down "3" instead of "1." If the RO simply calls out "1 Alpha, 1 Delta" then the scorekeeper knows exactly what to write down. Some may surmise all that's really needed is to call out the "Delta" hits and misses, but that may confuse some folks and won't account for all shots fired. It's not like we have any stages that have 32 targets, so the time required to write down all hits is minimal.

Originally, I had no-shoots planned, but things always change when it comes time to actually set up the stage. I thought the head, brain, tennis ball and plates would satisfy the need for accuracy for most folks. But we'll have some no-shoots next time around.

I actually considered bringing my crutches for use in one stage but decided against it.................

this time...................:D :D :D

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here are my thoughts on scoring:

In an actual confrontation, a good shot now beats the hell out of a perfect shot one second later.........because you may not be able to fire any shot one second later, much less a perfect one.

To that end, the TQ-21 scoring does have a generous center mass scoring zone.

IDPA, in my view, has too much of a scoring penalty attached to not hitting the 8" circle. As a result, people slow waaaay down to make sure they hit that arbitrary circle. Do you think that a hit 1" above the circle at 12 o'clock isn't going to be at least as effective as one that cuts the scoring ring 1" lower?

Add to that, many people are not familiar with the IDPA scoring rules, such as the "Failure to Neutralize" penalty. (which is assuming quite a bit, as the target very well could've been neutralized with peripheral hits that would be equivalent to broken arms, etc.)

But since peripheral hits aren't the goal, that's why it costs so much as a time penalty.

The easy fix to the scoring situation is to call out the number of "Alpha" or "Delta" hits then add the seconds at the bottom of the new (since last night) score sheets. RO's called out "Three!" to denote a single wounding hit and the scorekeeper wrote down "3" instead of "1." If the RO simply calls out "1 Alpha, 1 Delta" then the scorekeeper knows exactly what to write down. Some may surmise all that's really needed is to call out the "Delta" hits and misses, but that may confuse some folks and won't account for all shots fired. It's not like we have any stages that have 32 targets, so the time required to write down all hits is minimal.

Originally, I had no-shoots planned, but things always change when it comes time to actually set up the stage. I thought the head, brain, tennis ball and plates would satisfy the need for accuracy for most folks. But we'll have some no-shoots next time around.

I actually considered bringing my crutches for use in one stage but decided against it.................

this time...................:D :D :D

Yeah you are correct. I was just watching the video of me shooting those 6 shots to the body with my eyese closed and thought there needs to be more accuracy required on some of these or more movement on the wide open shots.
What say you new shooters? Was it easier than you thought, harder than you thought, just right? I would rather hear from everyone else.

Latest posts

Top Bottom