Carrygun Match at Heartland December 19th!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WideLoadTimmy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think these matches are some of the best around. They allow you to do some things that you might not do in a bigger match or a qualifier, such as intentional misfeeds, experiment with reload techniques etc. No real pressure just some good shooting with some good people.

Thanks again David

PS: Since IDPA-style shooting is about trying to maintain cover, how about a big cardboard box that we kneel behind/beside and engage a target

I like the cardboard box Idea.

How can we rig up a swinger that hangs from the ceiling? I bet a lot of the shooters that dont shoot the outdoor matches haven't enjoyed one if those yet.

I'd like to do some scenarios where you are in bed and gotta get the gun out of the night stand kind of thing too.

Possibly a seated start with the gun in a case next to you to simulate the console of my truck. Then reload from the same box. Then get out if truck and go hunting for more bad guys down range or retreat up range to safety and fight a long range battle from a knew behind cover.

What defensive match would be complete without a "your taking a dump and somebody bashes in your door" scenario. Maybe you gotta wipe twice (depending on what you ate) pull up your drawers and get to your gun.

I have thought about that every time I take a Dumper in my new place.

I figure we could buy a huge pair of fruit of the looms so they would fit everyone and you would have to hold them up with your weakhand so the bad guy couldn't see your winky. If you fail to keep mr happy covered it's a procedural.

How would that work for you on crutches?

David E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd like to give a shout-out to Ace Hardware, the one just around the corner from Heartland.

They DONATED the tape, PVC and bungee cord (for the shooting boxes) and various other things to help out with the supplies.

I've been buying my stuff there for years and was grateful to have those items donated for the matches.

Thanks!!!

David E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have had big boxes in there, it's just difficult to get them IN. I have a couple ideas for building compact/collapsible barricades, etc, so it will be easier to get it thru the double doors. If you have ideas for the same kind of thing PM me.

I'm also working on an improved swinger that'll work on the target carrier. (the first one didn't hold up)

As I previously posted, I almost had a "crutches" stage, but decided against it.

When designing stages, I remind myself often about 5 things:

1) The skill level of the typical shooter at these matches.

2) Set up time.

3) Stage run and/or reset time.

4) Safety

5) Is it fun?

My goal is to make every shot "make-able" by every reasonably skilled shooter. How fast they make that shot will be the deciding factor. I've shot matchs where the required shots were just unreasonable for anyone less than a Grandmaster and even most of them had trouble. How is that fun?

I often repeat to myself when stage designing, "keep it simple!" which works pretty well. I also want to have at least some practicality in mind.

The stage set-up time is a factor. That's why I'm using the existing target hangers and not bringing in a bunch of target stands, sticks, etc, etc. I could set up some pretty elaborate stages if folks didn't mind waiting an hour or more before first shots were fired...........but I think most would mind. (including me!)

I also have virutally no storage at Heartland, so everything needed for the stages I bring each month in the back of my Jeep.

I've found that "simple is best" most of the time. It allows for faster set up and faster reset. It just requires that the shooters go with the flow and not try to out smart the stage by shooting under the walls across the range, etc. (yeah, that happened)

A stage that requires a long time to reset is going to make the match run late. Now that more folks are making this a "must shoot" match, we need to keep in mind how long it takes each shooter to run thru each stage.

Safety is a biggie. The stage requirements need to be easily and safely executed by everyone.

I can see a "Potty stage" where you start seated on a bucket with the drawers around ankles. At signal, pull them up, go to Position "A", retrieve loaded gun and shoot a maximum of 6 shots. I would not want the shooter to try and move while holding up their drawers with a loaded gun, much less trying to do a reload while trying to hold up said drawers.

As a 6 shot stage, it makes sense, would be safe and would be memorable. But everyone tells me they want a high round count, so what's a stage designer to do? One solution is to have a companion stage right next to it that's 12 rds minimum, but we're back to the stage run-time issue.

Anyway, those are some of the things I take into consideration when stage designing. If anyone wants to design a stage, let me know! If you set it up and it's good enough, you can shoot for 1/2 price. (maybe I'll poll the shooters and see if they think the designer should get $10 back!)

BTW, call Heartland and tell them (Todd Sorter) how much you liked the match!

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife has a Walter P22 with a laser on it but you want .380 or higher calibers. I shot PDLL with a Sig P226 one tiem and loved it. I sold the gun with the grips not ong ago. I have asked Santa for some CT grips for my new sig P226. We'll see.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Last (only)time someone pointed a gun at me my junk disapeared for a week

simple is good. How about weak hand double tap followed with one to the head

Observation---lots of folks (me too)skip the head shot. Failure to stop can ruin your day

Latest posts

Top Bottom