Carrygun Match at Heartland January 16th

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Carrygun Match
January 16th
at Heartland

When: 3rd Sunday Night of each month.
Signup: Starts 5:30

Match Type: Handgun, Tactical Action. Emphasis on Carryguns and holsters. IPSC rules with TIME PLUS scoring.
Stages: Four (typically)
Round Count: 50 – 72 rds required.

Equipment: Practical guns .380 or larger, carried in practical gear. Holster (required) must cover triggerguard. Two spare magazines or 2 speedloaders will get you thru any stage. No shoulder holsters or cross-draw rigs. No Competition Only guns or gear.

Rules: Basically, IPSC rules with TIME PLUS scoring.

Divisions:

Low Cap: = 10 rd mags or less. (you may load magazines down for this division)
High Cap: = 11 rd mags or more (load 'em up!)
Revolver: = any revolver, barrel length 2.26" or longer, any capacity.
PDLL = Ported (like the Glock "C" models) Dot (like the Optima red dot) Lasers and gun-mounted Lights. If your 5-shot J-frame has a laser, it'll compete in this division.
SubCompact: Semi-autos with barrels 3.5" or shorter.
Snubby: 5-6 shot with 2.25" or shorter barrels.

Prizes: YES! $50 Heartland Outdoor Gift certificates!
Awarded randomly! Must be present to win.

Limited to first 40 shooters!

Cost:
$20

(active military and full-time Law Enforcement ½ price)

Carrygun Match Guidelines

Safety

1) Safety is everyone’s job. If you see something unsafe, SAY SOMETHING !
2) This is a COLD RANGE. No guns are loaded prior to the “make ready” command.
3) Do not unholster your gun unless on the line & after told to “make ready” by the RO. (Range Officer) IE; your gun stays holstered unless you’re on the line making ready or in the safe area.
4) Follow all range commands of the RO, as they are given. (Don’t rush, don’t anticipate!)
5) The “safe” area is the classroom, at the southeast corner of the building thru the double doors.
You may “gun-up” there, while facing the EAST wall. (away from the double doors)
6) Do NOT handle any ammunition in the safe area. (Load magazines anywhere BUT the safe area)
7) All movement and reloads must be done with the trigger finger outside the guard.
8) Don’t break the 180 with the muzzle. (Muzzle & Finger warnings may be given, but are not required)
9) If you have an accidental discharge, STOP! Face downrange and do what the RO tells you.
10) Do not try to outsmart the stage. Due to the limitations of an indoor range, all shots must hit the backstop for safety. Walls, ceiling and floor are not the backstop!
11) It is required that the shooter engage targets only from the specified positions.
12) All prop walls are considered to go all the way to the floor. Unless otherwise specifically outlined for the stage, if you can see a target under a wall, do not shoot it. If you’re unsure, ask!
13) All walls and targets are considered impenetrable. Do not intentionally shoot thru a target, prop or wall hoping to hit another target.
14) When told, “unload & show clear,” remove your magazine, remove the chambered round,
point the gun at the backstop and pull the trigger. If there is an AD, it’s a Match DQ

DISREGARDING ANY OF THE ABOVE GUIDELINES WILL RESULT IN A MATCH DQ

If you are DQ’ed for a safety violation, there is no refund and there is no whining.

Protocols

1) You are expected to stay with your squad throughout the match.
2) You are expected to help tape, pick up brass and/or reset the stage for the next shooter.
3) If you are the “on deck” (next) shooter, you do not need to help reset the stage.
4) If you’re “in the hole” (3rd up) pick up the shooter’s brass. If you’re 4th or 5th or greater, help tape/reset.
5) If you are reported as a “slug” (not helping at all) then you forfeit your chance at the drawing.
6) There is no shooting straight thru the match, unless you have a great reason.
7) After the match is over, you are expected to help sweep, take down the props, clean up and restore the range to how it was before the match.
8) If you leave early, you forfeit your chance at winning a $50 Heartland Gift Certificate.

Must be present to win!

David E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Based on the previous thread, we're going to start something this year that will be of interest to the shooter.

Each match, we'll have a stage of "Skill Assessment" It'll be similar to a classifier where the target(s) and distance will be specified so you can check your progress when we shoot that stage again later in the year.

The stages will be simple enough so you can practice them on your own, should you be so inclined.

The advantage to this is that you can track your progress.

I shot the second Texas State Limited Championship back in the mid 90's. One of the stages was a Bill Drill at 7 yds. (Face target, draw and fire 6 shots) Out of 106 shooters, I was 4th on that stage with a 2.32, down one point. The stage winner, World Champion Ted Bonnet, shot it in 2.19 down zero. Were I to go over 2 seconds now, I'd be a little perturbed at myself. But had I never shot that stage at the match, I wouldn't have been able to track my progress on it over the years.

Which brings me to my point: prior to that stage, I'd never done a Bill Drill on a timer before. Of course, timers are cheaper now and every serious handgunner should have one. But even if I had shot a timed Bill Drill in practice, I'd never done it as a stand-alone stage at a match before. Oddly, my practice runs and match runs aren't always the same.....maybe I'm the only one....

The working plan right now is to have 6 of these so we can shoot them all 6 months after we shot it the first time. Hopefully, progress will be readily apparent.

I have several in mind already, but I thought it might be interesting to open it up to you folks and see what you think would make a good "Skill Assessment" stage.

If I choose your stage, you can shoot the night we do yours for 1/2 price.

Here are the parameters:

1) Simple to set up and run.
2) ONE string of fire.
3) 18 shots max.
4) Three shooting positions max.
5) Shooter standing, gun loaded and holstered start.
6) Practical

So, whattaya got ?

No.343

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Triangle with three boxes. Either stand and shoot from the boxes, or shoot on the move between the boxes while moving forward, backing up or moving sideways. One of my favorite drills because I stink at it.

benjamin-benjamin

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
so are you saying we are going to have the 4 stages and then 1 other stage that is the same every month, or 3 stages and 1 that is the same every month?? i think the idea is good in principle but every month?? part of what i like about the match is it is different every month... maybe have the same stage once every 3-6 months?? anyways i am just one opinion, maybe everyone else feels differently, but i will come regardless.. i like these matches.

David E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
so are you saying we are going to have the 4 stages and then 1 other stage that is the same every month, or 3 stages and 1 that is the same every month??

What I'm saying is the "Skill Test" stage would be incorporated into the regular match. Which, unless I told you it was the Skill Test, you would think it was just another stage.

Let's say I run Skill Test #1 in January. You won't see it again until July.

If the Skill Tests were simple and fast enough, they would ADD to the stage and round count, not detract. For example, having a "Draw and fire 2" would be a stage and a Skill Test, but it would be paired with another Skill Test like a 7 yd Bill Drill. Or, just run an 18 rd stage immediately following.

The "Two Will Do" stage and a Bill Drill would be two very good ones to do first, since you can track your progress throughout the year just by asking the RO to review your first 2 shots on the first target.

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, whattaya got ?

I think you answered your own question. How about just using the Bill Drill? It is a kind of standard that is recognized by shooters across the country AND we have already done it once a couple months ago so we would already have a "standard" for comparison if we have it later in the year.

benjamin-benjamin

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
What I'm saying is the "Skill Test" stage would be incorportaed into the regular match. Which, unless I told you it was the Skill Test, you would think it was just another stage.

Let's say I run Skill Test #1 in January. You won't see it again until July.

If the Skill Tests were simple and fast enough, they would ADD to the stage and round count, not detract. For example, having a "Draw and fire 2" would be a stage and a Skill Test, but it would be paired with another Skill Test like a 7 yd Bill Drill. Or, just run an 18 rd stage immediately following.

The "Two Will Do" stage and a Bill Drill would be two very good ones to do first, since you can track your progress throughout the year just by asking the RO to review your first 2 shots on the first target.

AHHHHHHHHHH, in that case your idea is great.... here is a suggestion that has nothing to do with the question you asked (just an idea for a different type of stage). Since you are supposed to find cover (if possible) and then engage, we could have "cover" something like a large box, or wall (blue tarp), you could start the time, have someone run to cover, draw and then engage.... just a suggestion...

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
3 targets, 1 box each at 15, 10, and 7 yards. Your choice of target but freestyle from box a, strong hand only from box b, and weak hand only from box c. 6 shots on each target, 5 for snubby.

Latest posts

Top Bottom