Carrygun Match at Heartland January 16th

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the trick is to not have the skills test take away from the regularly scheduled good stages. Nobody likes USPSA classifiers becasuee they are less shooting thatn the big field courses. At least I hae never heard anybody say "man I like to shoot less than this at a match" This spacially challenged match struggles to keep the round count up as it is so if you toss an 18 round stage for a 6-12 round stage it might take away from the match.

Maybe do like we did in month two where we ran 5 or 6 stages with two small stages or strings on each bay then run two big stages for the last two stages. Slightly longer match but more shooting = happy guns!

Just thinking out loud. Please poke holes in my idea.

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the trick is to not have the skills test take away from the regularly scheduled good stages. Nobody likes USPSA classifiers becasuee they are less shooting thatn the big field courses.

I agree with you except there are a few classifiers that are fun -- mostly the single string ones (i.e.: El Prez, Pucker Factor, etc.). I personally despise the multiple string ones with stronghand this, weakhand that.

Plus if we do these and give Jesse some practice maybe he'll hurry up and get the hell out of B class so I can win something this year!

I like the one skill test per month or just a total skills-test only match every 6 months or so.

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would like to do a shoot 2, reload, shoot 2, reload, shoot 2, reload but not everybody has that many mags or pouches
We almost have to do a draw shoot 2 freestyle, 2 stronghand, 2 weakhand or some means of testing the one handed shooting. Because everybody knows if you're ever in a gun fight chances are you will end up shooting one handed like John Wayne. Heck most of you are getting so fast that you will probably shoot weakhand only at the bad guy just so the shooting is fair;)

David E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's what we'll do:

We'll have one Skills Test per match. (altho I have 2 planned for January. Don't worry, they are quick and add to the round count)

We won't repeat it for 6 months. We'll name them so you know which one will be shot.

Now, keep in mind, to get the "baseline" skill level you need to come shoot it. And to check your progress, you need to show up to shoot that one, too.

Could you set these up and check your own progress? Technically yes, but not really. There is something different about having to do it at the match, on demand, under time pressure with everyone watching. You don't get this at the practice range.

Latest posts

Top Bottom