Carrying a spare magazine...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok. So because of the way the world has gotten, you've finally made the decision to start totin' a firearm for the protection of you and yours. You've read all the gun magazines, you've joined all the forums, you've even went as far as obtaining your SDA card and made it all legal.

Good for you! :thumb:

You've went to all the happening gun shops, listened to the "experts" at said gun shops and even rented a few weapons to see which one you liked the best. You've discussed weapon weight, trigger pull, sight options, accessory availability, holsters, ammo, changing around your attire for proper concealed carry, yaddida, yaddida, yaddida! :blahblah:

Way to go! :thumb::thumb:

Do you carry a spare magazine along with your new blaster? :anyone:

:lookaroun

"A spare magazine," you ask? "Uh...why do I need to carry a spare magazine? My pistol already holds 15 rounds of super destroyer, uranium tipped, man stopper rounds. Surely I won't need more than 15 rounds of ammo...will I?"

Maybe. Maybe not. However...if you have made the decision to carry a weapon, carrying a spare magazine shouldn't be that much of a burden. But how DO you carry a spare magazine comfortably? There are your assorted belt pouches that you gotta cover up like your pistol or you might open up an unwanted conversation from some lefty. Or you can put one or two in your murse/man bag, but what a pain to reach it when you really need it. Or you can just do like most folks and drop it in your pocket. Of course, if you really need it, it will probably be full of lint which will tie your pistol up when you desperately need it.

Enter the "Gideon" pocket mag pouch by Crossbreed Holsters!

www.crossbreedholsters.com_Portals_0_Hotcakes_Data_products_7cacafd8f18c4708027c3563929320a65e.png

I live in a small, sleepy little rural town with a population of around 5,000 people. I rarely ever "holster up" any longer. My EDC carry is a Glock 43 in my front pocket. I've tried several different ways to carry a spare mag and didn't like any of them. Thanks to the internet, I ran across the "Gideon" bu crossbreed Holsters and took a chance.

I LOVE THIS THING! :woohoo1:

It simply drops into your front pocket and you hardly know it's there. It keeps your magazine in an upright position, ready to go. It's made of top grain leather (I went with horsehide for 5 bucks more) comes in two or three different colors and it holds the magazine securely but just secure enough that it draws from the pouch effortlessly, leaving the pouch in the pocket as it was designed.

Like I said...if you feel the need to carry a pistol, you really should carry a spare mag.

:thanku:

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I usually try to carry an extra mag. When OCing my G22, the mag is big and heavy (especially with my Pearce +2 extension). My other most frequent carry gun is my Walther PPS, and while the mag is much slimmer and smaller, it has an odd shape with a couple of protruding claws on the base that contribute to it feeling odd in my pocket.

Observe:

iipsrv.fcgi

Not sure what to do about that. I like the Crossbreed thingie, but when you swap carry guns frequently, this becomes even more of a problem. <sigh>

I'm seeing these days what everyone always said about ending up with a whole tub or box of holsters you've accumulated over the years. There's no one perfect carry gun for me, it seems, and every situation demands a different application, including multiple holsters. I guess I just have to accept that I'll be "perpetually dissatisfied" - oh well, I've always been a bit of a realist (some call it pessimist), anyways.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just drop a xtra mag in my pocket. This Gideon seems like a good way to improve my pocket carry approach. I may just order one now. Thanks for posting this

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, the bad thing about just dropping a mag in your pocket, is that you never know what direction the mag is in when you need it and the chance of a big ball of lint getting attached to the top round sounds very unappealing to me.

The only drawback, if you wanna call it that, about the Gideon is that you gotta devote a pocket exclusively to it like you do when you pocket carry your pistol. You don't wanna do a tactical reload with a pocket knife or something.

When I'm off the clock and just chilling in my hometown, all I carry is my Glock 43 and a spare mag in the Gideon. After wearing a full size pistol all day, 5 days a week, I just hate to holster up.

The only time I holster up is when I go to Tulsa or OKC...or Black Friday shopping with Mrs. GED. :yikes2:

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like this new Gideon mag carrier, I need to just order one right now. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My keltec P3AT goes into my pocket in a desantis holster that has a pocket for a spare mag. Neither will allow for a lightning draw, but its there.
When going into a less than desirable area like walmart, I CC a Kahr CW40 with a spare mag in the left back pocket.

jhat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't believe you just drop a glock in your front pocket. You have some stones but you might lose one soon.

Latest posts

Top Bottom